Chickens won’t roost

AbbyTeters

In the Brooder
Apr 11, 2022
Hi, I have 3 chickens that are all about 9 months old. I cannot get them to roost at all!

They sleep on the floor of the coop all cuddled together or in close proximity to each other.

Their coop is large (for 3 hens anyway) and I have tried different heights and sizes of roosting bars. All a little more than 12” from the edge. I have tried putting them on it just as they are headed in for the night hoping they will stay, but the seem nervous and then jump right down as soon as I let go.

I tried a ramp up to it when it was higher, but they wouldn’t use it either.

I have a big clean tree branch in their run and they will hop on it, over it, stand on it, etc but they nap on the mulch floor.

Any tips or tricks? I know it is healthier for them and they are supposed to like it. For reference we have an Easter egger, welsummer and a silkie.

Tia

I have Sussex, they all do the same thing. They will start using it when they are older, as mine are all growing (they are all varied ages) we see more and more using the perches each week. There's only about 3 of the 20 that still sleep on the ground.

You will need to be more persistent then they are...if one hops off the roost, you put it back, rinse and repeat. Also, how dark is it when you are putting them on the roost? It may need to be darker, to make it harder for them to hop off the roost.

You will need to be more persistent then they are...if one hops off the roost, you put it back, rinse and repeat. Also, how dark is it when you are putting them on the roost? It may need to be darker, to make it harder for them to hop off the roost.
It’s mostly dark but not 100%

Try putting them on the roost when it's completely dark (goes without saying, no lights should be left on inside the coop).

The Silkie may or may not roost even if you try to train her, as they can struggle to get up on roosts.

Try putting them on the roost when it's completely dark (goes without saying, no lights should be left on inside the coop).

The Silkie may or may not roost even if you try to train her, as they can struggle to get up on roosts.
Thanks, Ill try that. I have always tried at dusk before, not once it is completely dark. No lights are inside. There is just a bit of ambient light from a security light on the light pole by our barn.

How is the perch/roost? Is it a good size for their feet? Younger smaller birds will appreciate a slightly smaller roost.

Back
Top Bottom