Chickens won’t stop digging along the run fence!

Alexthechickenkeeper

In the Brooder
Sep 4, 2017
My dad and I built a large run for my chickens, hoping that they would dig more in the center than the outskirts but they won’t stop digging under the fence and we have now had 3 chicks get stuck under the fence and two died. We have tried and tried filling it in but it doesn’t last more than a couple hours. We have chicken wire on the ground outside of the fence so predators can’t get in and they can’t get out. What can I do to deter them from digging?

My dad and I built a large run for my chickens, hoping that they would dig more in the center than the outskirts but they won’t stop digging under the fence and we have now had 3 chicks get stuck under the fence and two died. We have tried and tried filling it in but it doesn’t last more than a couple hours. We have chicken wire on the ground outside of the fence so predators can’t get in and they can’t get out. What can I do to deter them from digging?
For our quail run, I surround the edges of the run with heavy stones...It may work for you too...I am not exactly sure as to what your setup is like, but I hope this helps!

They always dig right where you don't want them to.

I keep some blocks and bricks handy to stick into the holes that are threatening to undermine the fence.

0912201038-jpg.2330926

I also use rocks along the fence line in the run to prevent escapes. It seems that chickens dig everywhere you don't want them to!! I've also noticed they dig at the base of plants making big craters & nearly uprooting the plants, especially my blueberries. I've had to rebury them (the plants) a few times. Maybe that's where the best bugs and worms are?? Crazy chickens!

Back
Top Bottom