Chickenstock fiesta yardsale August 21

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
Oh, it will be great to see you there!!! I actually got Saturday off so we can go and stay for the night Sarah was upset we couldn't last month...

Quote:
clap.gif
sooo awsome.

Quote:
hahaha, i dont like it
barnie.gif
way to hot, it is about 102 here now outside my window.

Shay, I saw the kiddie pools at the Sears up the road from me just a little while ago today. They were 17.00 and pretty big, is it for the duck or people?

The girls stole the goose pool
gig.gif

its too deep for my goofy geese to get back out of so it was cleaned steralized and set aside, next thing I see is cassi passsing by the window with something yellow being dragged behind her, yep goose pool is under the cover it and filled with good old fashioned ice water from the well.
2 happy girls and one very relieved grandmother.

Quote:
In about a week teh babys will start trying to jump out with mom, so you may want to think about moveing her lower to the floor so that when they babys try to follow her they wont fall and get hurt. and mom wont be able to get them back into teh box if tehy get out.

unless it is big enough to cage her in it so she cant get out either, put a very shallow bowl of water in there with marble or rocks in teh bottom so the chicks dont drown, and put a container cover or feeder taht holds chick starter with there chick stater in there.

Thanks Shay,
Tonight i had an idea, and i took a clean cool whip container filled with rocks to weight it down, and a small chick waterer sets nicely in the top of the container. The container keeps the water up out of the nesting chips and also keeps the waterer from tipping. I scooped the chips from one corner of the nest box, and set the container and waterer on the floor of the nest box with some chips pushed up around it a bit so baby should be able to to reach. I'm worried that mom has not left the nest at all that i can tell, and in this heat she NEEDS water! I also put a small plastic bowl with chick starter in another corner. There is just enough space left for mom and baby---lol! Well the box is 12x11, and mom is a Serama weighing about 16 ounces, so i'm sure they are ok for now. I do want to move mom and baby soon---i'm thinking to put them in the other side of the chicken tractor with the other two broodies, and put all the roos in this side. That way i can set up food and water for all the babies, and they can be on the floor level. My hubby is worried that mom will be upset at being moved and abandon her baby? From what i hear, many people move moms and babies, so i thought it must be ok, right?
Sorry for all the questions, this is the first time i ever had a broody hen hatch a live baby! At first i thought the mom would have everything figured out, but now i think i may need to help her, at least some. Thanks!!!

Chickie'sMoma :

Quote:
if you put chick starter/crumbled food in a shallow dish and water in one of those small water containers moma will teach them what to do! she will make the clucking noises like the roo would do telling his girls he found goodies! it's fun to watch the whole commotion going on. though a word of advise: wait another day before putting the food out for her and the chicks unless you put it really close to moma. she might abandon any remaining hatching eggs to focus on teaching her chicks things to do. i've found it is easier to put moma in a separate pen from any other chickens so it is easier to feed and water just them while keeping them safe. moma may eventually try to attack any other adult if she sees her chicks are being harmed or had been harmed, she may keep a grudge on any other bird that had done this.

congrats and good luck with the new chickie!

Thanks for the great advice. I figured out a way to put food and water IN the nest box today, but i hope to move mom and baby soon. I just hope she doesn't get upset at being moved. She is VERY protective of her baby, and she hasn't let me reach under her to see about her other egg---it's several days overdue, so i'm guessing it isn't going to hatch.

Would it be best to trying moving her AT NIGHT so she is less upset about it? Thanks!​

hello folks
smile.png
Stopping into BYC to see what is going on. Figured I'd give a shot in the dark, anyone going to have pied and/or white guinea keets with them on the 18th? I'm looking for 3 keets, prefer 2 pied (any color), one white, the closer to off the light the better. Still looking at a few other possibilities but wouldn't mind an excuse to get Dan to bring me down to the chickenstock
tongue.png
I'm still in the chair, hopefully getting out of it early August, but would like to stop in maybe. Anyways, PM me with prices if you will have keets. Thanks!

Quote:
Awwww, too cute
smile.png
Well, it wasn't being used, right? Sarah and Bryant walked across the road to the river. I'm not a swimmer at all, so don't miss the pool
lol.png

Hi!
Is anyone bringing Ameraucanas to chickenstock? If not, does anyone want to split an order with me? PM me or email me please, since there's not much time to get the order in. If I go with Meyers, I can order different breeds. I'd love to minimize the shipping cost when I only need a few chicks. I'm hoping some others out there are in the same boat.
Thanks!
Sue

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom