Chickie In Trouble... SOS ***New PIX*** Oh It gets WORSE :(

SterlingAcres

Songster
11 Years
Apr 17, 2008
Poconos, PA
So I ordered 15 assorted eggs from Meyer. 6 or 7 were infertile. I had 8 make it to Day 16. One quit on me. So there's 7 growing chicks. 2 hatched yesterday, a polish and an ee. Now I've got a small brown egg that pipped away a great deal of it's shell, but not like a zip... it looks like a hole. The membrane is dry on the egg, but the sac around the chick is bloody and sticky. It appears to be drying out, so I wrapped the egg in a warm cloth. Tsk on me for opening the bator again, I know, but the little guy has been like this for almost... 21 hours. It's breathing heavy and cheeps, but doesn't make anymore effort to leave it's egg...

I'm confused, I've never had this happen before. WTH do I do? I don't want it to die, obviously... but I don't want to yank it out of the shell either...

Help me! :|

Last edited by a moderator:
My one little chick did the same thing and decided to try and hatch too early, it wasn't ready and it died 6 hrs after it hatched
sad.png
I would give the little one a bit more time and you have already wrapped it with a cloth so that's good. You could maybe mist it a bit with water if the membrane is showing. Keep an eye on it and you may need to carefully start removing some of the shell. You'll know if you come across fresh blood, but sometimes even removing enough of the shell around the area like if it had zipped all on it's own it may decide to try and give a push and come out on it's own. Keeping my fingers crossed that it is alright!
fl.gif

Here's a trick I use but you have to do every step. If I have a light breed like a silkie, polish, etc., I'll wait 12 hours once they pip. I will then start where the pip is at, peeling the shell VERY GENTLY. You may see a membrane or you may see the inner clear membrane. Peel up towards the air cell. IF you get any blood, Hold a clean rag on the spot of bleeding for about 60 seconds or a little more. It will stop and continue to peel upwards toward the eggcell. When you have the whole top off from the pip to the aircell. See what you have inside. You will probably see a clear membrane. Take your thumb and gently rub backwards from the front of the chicks head to the rear until that whole clear membrane is basically removed to the back of the egg, off the chicks head. During this whole process, any bleeding can be stopped with that clean rag as above. THEN; give him about an hour to get out himself. If he does not, use both hands and gently start pulling him or rubbing him out of the egg. You want to get him out of the egg, but you DONT want to detach him from the bottom of the egg. Just lay him in the incubator and he should start kicking his way off the bottom. Do not detach what I call the placenta string. Let him kick that end off himself. It might take a few hours. And it won't hurt to peel the egg with the incubator opened, because I do it all the time. It seems like I do it more with the silkie eggs or similiar. Usually the big guys like the White Leghorns, are in a hurry to get out and they are bigger so its not a problem. Good Luck! Remember to leave them in the incubator for 24 hours after they are out of the egg.
smile.png

Quote:
OMG...I feel pretty good now......this is EXACTLY how I hatched out my dried out babies. Couldn't find anything to guide me but looks like I did good!!!

Shellie, I am so sorry you are having trouble with the little guy. If you choose to take the advice chickNlittle gave, just wanted you to know, all of mine I hatched that way are strong, healthy, running and playing. Good luck. Got my fingers crossed for you and the little one.

big_smile.png
Oh it's good news guys...

The little brown egg looked soooo pitiful. I gave up before I even checked this post again... an hour or so ago, I picked it up with a warm wet rag and the shell literally crumbled in my hand. Weird. Like all I had to do was touch the shell and it fell away. So, I opened a significant hole, nothing huge (since I've read some posts about them bleeding out with torn membranes). Then sat it back in the bator, hoping it'd get out on it's own...

I just went to grab the boys an ice pop before I put them down to bed and checked the bator before coming up here...

Brown chickie is out and chirping up a storm! It's gooey. Navel looking stuff like the Polish had. I'm going to leave it in there until real late tonight... because...

ALL IT'S CHIRPING HAS CAUSED ANOTHER PIP!
ep.gif

I looked at this cream colored egg and thought 'wow, that little piece of shell couldn't have come from the one I just helped, it's lighter'... then it moved! It was a whole other pip, not just a piece thrown in passing by another hatch!

This is a weird staggered hatch. I mean, I must have had maybe... 15 hatches? Average of 80-90% hatch rate, without having to assist at all... and they all hatched within hours of each other... And now THIS hatch... for my nieces... REALLY screwed me up.
lol.png
Go figure, a whopping 8 chicken eggs threw me for a loop.

The SOS chick appears to be the same shape as 'Whitey'. What's the odds of 2 different colored Polishes in an assorted egg run? LOL He's black and yellow, naked light colored legs, long neck and black top beak. I'll get a pic as soon as the boys are sleeping, I'm running late tonight.
roll.png

Can I pop in here for a bit of help too?

I've had 6 eggs hatch. There are four more to go. One of them pipped yesterday then stopped. Today a bit more shell has come off, but the membrane still isn't broken. I can see that the little guy/gal is pulsing, but that's all.

I'm wondering how long I wait before I intervene and do as has been described in the previous posts on this thread?

Susan

Back
Top Bottom