Chicks’ first night in the Eglu

This discussion is really helpful thank you. A couple of days ago I got three Shetland chicks eight weeks old and they're temporarily in a wooden coop in their own little run. There's a new Eglu ready for them in the main run with the six bantams and I'd like to get them sleeping in it asap because the temporary arrangement isn't good for me and it's not as secure at night.
I wasn't sure how old they need to be for an Eglu but it sounds as if I could lift them in at night once the others are shut up and put them out in their own run during the day until they're integrated.
My others do find the plastic slippery and don't use the coop during the day, but they settle very quickly at night. They like to perch AND snuggle up so they used to snuggle until they pushed each other off the perch! The Eglu allows them to perch and snuggle without falling :)

First night in the coop, here we go!

Here’s a pic of them settling into the Omlet Eglu Cube. I’ve got a coop cam in there bc I’m a nervous chicken mama 🤪 Their food and water is in there for now as they adjust to their new surroundings.

They had a few slip and slide moments getting used to the bars, but less than an hour in there and boom. Tucked in for the night and asleep!

best of all… they are out of the garage brooder. Hall-le-LOO 🥳View attachment 2788430
Hi! How did you get them to go inside? I keep having to strap on knee pads and crawl around to put them there. I was thinking of waiting until dark and putting a puck light inside.
It’s been very hot (even under the trees) so I didn’t leave the 5-week-olds trapped inside all the time. They do go in and roost from time-to-time during the day. (They’ve only been in the Eglu for two days.)
Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom