Chicks Die at same time

capndave

Hatching
Oct 23, 2019
We purchased 14 chicks and all has been going well, all the chickens are 3 weeks old and were active, eating and drinking. No signs of any problems, at 3 weeks the brooder temperature was 85 degrees. Yesterday we went to check on them and all 14 had died. Our brooder is in the house so they are well protected. We have no idea why they died, especially all at the same time.. i.e. within maybe 6 hours. We had changed their food and water in the morning and that afternoon when we went to check on them... they were all gone..... Need help in understanding why this happened.

Very difficult to say without more information. Did you change anything in the brooder besides food and water? How were you heating your brooder? (This is reminiscent of a previous thread where the OP had changed their heating lamp with one that was Teflon coated. Teflon, when heated gives off toxic fumes which will quickly kill chicks/chickens.) How big was the brooder? Whatever caused it obviously affected all the chicks. I will say that IMO 85 degrees is too hot for 3 week old chicks.

We purchased 14 chicks and all has been going well, all the chickens are 3 weeks old and were active, eating and drinking. No signs of any problems, at 3 weeks the brooder temperature was 85 degrees. Yesterday we went to check on them and all 14 had died. Our brooder is in the house so they are well protected. We have no idea why they died, especially all at the same time.. i.e. within maybe 6 hours. We had changed their food and water in the morning and that afternoon when we went to check on them... they were all gone..... Need help in understanding why this happened.
I am so sorry this happened.
Can you please take a picture of where exactly you had these chicks... A picture of the brooder setup.

also can you get a picture of your heat source that you were using to heat them which by the way 85 is too hot for 3 weeks old.

Much more likely internal.

Highly doubt it was "Teflon flu" cause at 570degrees, they would also be on fire since 450 ignites paper.
Capture+_2019-10-23-08-53-01.png

But I haven't studied beyond this article so I can't claim expert.

Sorce

Much more likely internal.

Highly doubt it was "Teflon flu" cause at 570degrees, they would also be on fire since 450 ignites paper.View attachment 1941791

But I haven't studied beyond this article so I can't claim expert.

Sorce
A Teflon coated light bulb doesn't even have to get too hot to kill.

Back
Top Bottom