Chicks dropping off, one by one?

megpie021

Songster
5 Years
Feb 25, 2017
Mchenry, Illinois
Okay so here is the deal, we had a few chickens we bought straight run. They ended up boys. We found them a new home and decided we wanted the maximum flock our ordinance allows for so we went and picked up two new babies that would join our others later on. The first night all seemed great, then the next day the EE started seeming weak. I gave her all the extra love I could, special food, sugar water ect. She died late Sunday night. Her friend we got seemed fine aside from screaming all night because she was lonely. We got up and were at the feed store when it opened to get her a friend. Brought home the friend everything seemed fine. The original chick was eating and drinking. Fast forward to this morning, original chick is now laying down barely able to open her eyes, like the EE ended up. The friend seems fine, but I am worried theres some sort of disease or contagious thing I am missing here. What are the chances that its just a separate issue with the chicks. I will be going some where else for new ones I think, but I am scared to get new friends for this one if she may now be sick. Am I overreacting? We raised our first six up to 6 weeks no issues, no deaths. They are going strong. We dont want to risk anything with those ones for sure. Or is this just really bad luck. Chicks were a few days old at purchase, came from Cackle hatchery.

Brooder is an old guinea pig cage repurposed, Otherwise pretty standard. Heat lamp on one end, food and water on the other end. It is the exact same set up as the original 6 chickens had before they were bumped up to a pool in the garage. They have electrolyte water. The food is Nutrena Chick Starter Grower. I dont know how to read the date exactly. But it is 0070261. We bought the bag with the purchase of the EE and now sick other chick. Temp is about 93 ish under the lamp, the other end I am not sure of, but they are in our guest room, so its not freezing. We do have the heat running off and on as its starting to warm up here.

Okay I'm interpreting that as being made January 26 of this year. I'm not sure what the 1 on the end is for (it sould be a 2 digit manufacture code, a number to indicate the year, and then a Julian date code which is three digits). Did you use that same bag of feed for the other chicks? How do their butts look (poop build up or sticking to the vent, etc)?

Its the same brand we used for the original ones, but new bag. It doesnt look moldy or anything. The ee that died had a little bit of pasty butt the day before she passed. But she did have a normal poop in my hand while i was drying her after cleaning it. I guess one thing i did notice is when we put in the new chick we noticed that the other one was smaller than the one we just brought home. I know theres a lot that can go wrong with them that we cant see or know about. I just disnt feel they looked weak or like anything was wrong when we picked them. I know most likely this was just bad luck. But i dont want any new new babies to be in danger beyond being bew babies.

Every one made it through the night. I also added some corid as a suggestion from the Illinois thread. So hopefully we have got this figured out. The new chicks are cute. A new little easter egger and a little yellow chick with feather legs from the assorted bin, different store and hatchery just to be safe.

Every one made it through the night. I also added some corid as a suggestion from the Illinois thread. So hopefully we have got this figured out. The new chicks are cute. A new little easter egger and a little yellow chick with feather legs from the assorted bin, different store and hatchery just to be safe. 

That's why I asked if it was medicated. Coccidiosis was my second guess, but it seemed to be progressing abnormally fast.

Back
Top Bottom