Chicks dying unexpectedly, swollen crop, opening and closing mouth

Farmer2379

In the Brooder
May 16, 2021
I bought 5 Orpington chicks between 1 and 7 days old. All at different times I noticed one chick under the lamp not really moving just sleeping. Won’t open its eyes and won’t eat but will drink lots when I put their beak to the water. Their crop seems large and squishy like it’s full of air or could be water also. I notice they constantly open and close their mouth and looking up like they’re gasping, but not making a strangled noise, their breathing sounds normal. They are on medicated chick starter feed and they have vitamin water. I have tried penicillin, yogurt for probiotics and oil in case they had gas stuck in their crop. They have wood shavings for bedding. I also noticed that the 2 silkie chicks I have in with them that I bought from someone else are fine and also Rhode Island reds I bought from someone else are also fine. All 5 of my Orpington chicks died so I got more from the same guy as replacements but one of the replacements has already died like the rest.

It sounds like he has sold you weak, sick, or dying chicks. Do any have pasty butt? If you can give them a drop or two of Poultry NutriDrench, and keep them drinking, perhaps you can save them. I hope that they get better, but if they are struggling so young, it could be that they won’t make it. Are they under a heat source in a brooder? Sorry for your loss.

It sounds like he has sold you weak, sick, or dying chicks. Do any have pasty butt? If you can give them a drop or two of Poultry NutriDrench, and keep them drinking, perhaps you can save them. I hope that they get better, but if they are struggling so young, it could be that they won’t make it. Are they under a heat source in a brooder? Sorry for your loss.
Yes, they have good heat and no past butt. I am going into town tomorrow I will see if I can find nitridrench or something similar. I also hope we don’t lose anymore.

Back
Top Bottom