Chicks falling over adn laying on side very weak....

8ROYALS

Songster
9 Years
Jul 5, 2010
Petersburg, Texas
I got an order from MPC one was dead in transit. Two are very weak and laying on thier sides and very wobbly. I am making sure these two get food and water, but is there anything else I can do?
Thanks...

Do you have any electrolites? You could put that in their drinking water......Make sure they are warm, and maybe put some liquid down their throats with an eye dropper........That's about all you can do. Sorry to hear that.

This chick is still not getting any better. He still eats and drinks. He just is wobbly like drunk and falls over and lays on side. then has trouble getting up. The other chicks attack him if they see him down on his side. I know that is normal, but it can't be helping him. Am I at that just wait and see stage..and hope for the best. Hope he is better in the morning. Help!!! I don't want o lose another one...i am sure it is the heat...thanks.

I feel your pain. I ordered 25 from Meyers and lost 8 of them (plus was shorted a couple) in the first couple days. All I can suggest is killing the chick quickly if it looks like it's not going to make it, and to report your losses to the hatchery. Meyers was excellent about replacing my losses.

I think mine spent a bit too much time in transit during very hot weather. McMurray's site recommends to give your chicks a bit of sugar in their water for the first couple days too. Might be worth a try at this point.

I had ordered a group of clean legged bantams from Meyers. Had three do exactly that--amost like some kind of seizure for a while, lie on thier sides and shake/quiver act in a daze. but then if I held them or fed them they acted fine for a while......in the end all three died. They were all the same (very dark or black with a yellow V on their heads) I am no expert, but since only this kind--what ever kind it was--had this problem and the other seven were fine, I assumed it was a gentic problem or something. I have no problem with Meyers they were super great, I think just once in a while some chicks will have this......what does yours look like? Oh, and they kind of did it one after the other.....one even lasted almost a week before finally sucumbing.....

Quote:
My order was Old English Game Bantams and Buckeyes. All but one of my losses were OEGB's. I think their tiny bodies are more susceptible to stress and heat-induced illness.

He is still alive. I found out that he was the aggressor with the other chicks...so I think they ganged up on him in transit. The other one is doing great. More later...

Back
Top Bottom