Chicks Hatching

Pics

Chickadee337

Chirping
Nov 16, 2019
Santa Fe, TX
I just had 3 chicks hatch in two days. We’re on day 24. There are 4 eggs left. I had numbered the first 5 to keep up with them. But towards the hatch date the other hen started laying again in there as well. So the last few eggs I don’t know their hatch date. I candled them today and a couple are pretty well developed I couldn’t see through them very well. And another looked like it still had a week or more. There was a fifth egg but I decided to crack open the one I thought for sure was a dud..somewhat developed but saw no movement..well it sadly was not a dud. I felt horrible and buried the poor thing. I’m not opening anymore ever! So, do I let her continue to sit on them and hope they don’t explode or toss them knowing they could possibly hatch???
Currently, all 3 babies, momma and remaining eggs are in the garage together. Surprisingly, she still sitting on them. They have water, food and heat.

Attachments

• 931EE188-9A0D-4409-8782-9F26510F3D98.jpeg
    931EE188-9A0D-4409-8782-9F26510F3D98.jpeg
    559.1 KB · Views: 33
I just had 3 chicks hatch in two days. We’re on day 24. There are 4 eggs left. I had numbered the first 5 to keep up with them. But towards the hatch date the other hen started laying again in there as well. So the last few eggs I don’t know their hatch date. I candled them today and a couple are pretty well developed I couldn’t see through them very well. And another looked like it still had a week or more. There was a fifth egg but I decided to crack open the one I thought for sure was a dud..somewhat developed but saw no movement..well it sadly was not a dud. I felt horrible and buried the poor thing. I’m not opening anymore ever! So, do I let her continue to sit on them and hope they don’t explode or toss them knowing they could possibly hatch???
Currently, all 3 babies, momma and remaining eggs are in the garage together. Surprisingly, she still sitting on them. They have water, food and heat.
My roo is a Dominique and moms are red sex link. Anyone have those two mix before? I’m curious what they’re gonna look like.

First,
View attachment 1960573
Second, let her stay. Yes, I’ve had an egg explode under a broody. I never candle broodies though. If you didn’t see any warning signs candling, just hope for the best.
Thank you. I’ll let her sit and hope for the best lol. The first time I ever a hen go broody, she hatched 4 out of 5. Then she left the egg by itself all day. So finally I took it out to toss it and I felt it flutter and could hear the faint little chirping and then it pipped in my hand! I made a little make shift incubator; shoe box, dry towel, damp washcloth and a heating pad. And it hatched in my bedroom! Coolest thing ever!

Back
Top Bottom