Chicks not growing.

joerogrz

Songster
11 Years
Oct 28, 2008
Loretto, TN
I have a growing flock of young Australorps which are about 4 wks old now. I have one that has grown it's wing feathers and is about half the size of the rest. Another chick, which concerns me less, but still a concern, is about the same with a few more feathers. The rest of the Australorps are growing very well and have put on feathers to the point where they are coming in on their heads and under the wings.

The smallest two are showing very little sign of growth and the smallest can fit in the palm of my hand like it was just a few days old. I thought this may be worms and have treated all of them for worms with a med that mixes in the drinking water.

I have also given them Terramycin mixed in the water, but not with the worm med at the same time.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
Are you giving them chick grit? Unless your feed is inferior, that is the only thing I can think of that would stunt your chicks, if they are healthy otherwise. I'd call it "failure to thrive" maybe? You could try adding vitamins and fresh greens to their diet, it might help. Good luck.

Tammy

I have one in my brooder that just doesn't seem to get any bigger. Feathers are coming in and it eats all the time. I was glad to see this post. I'm a bit concerned also.
hu.gif

She doesn't act sick at all. I suppose she'll grow eventually. If not...we will just call her Tiny.

I'm letting the chicks out into a small pen everyday when the weather permits and they have access to grass, clover, etc. I've been doing this for about a week and a half now. The smallest one concerns me most, but it may turn out fine.

One thing I forgot to mention is the feces from these two chicks. I have not seen them "go" yet, but have examined the feces in my brooder and all seems right according to the pic's I found in a link in another post.

I am giving them grit by the way and I don't think the feed is medicated.

Last edited:
Hi joerogrz,

Do the chicks have free access to food?
Are the little ones getting enough?

I don't think it's a good idea to give them antibiotics like Terramycin unless you know what is wrong with them. Antibiotics kill good bacteria and allow fungus and bacteria like staph (which is resistant to many antibiotics) to grow.

Wormers can be very hard on small birds too, since they are poisons.

The first thing I would try is separating the two small chicks and giving them their own food and water. They may not be getting enough to eat. Try giving them crumbled up hard-boiled egg to eat, especially the yolk. I would also give all of the chicks plain yogurt to help reestablish good bacteria in their systems after the Terramycin.

Good luck!

I would not give them any more meds! Just give them food, warmth, water, grit and protection and they should grow. Trust their natural ability to survive. I know it can be hard when you read all the BYC stuff about meds, but these are young babies. They will grow if you do the above. Be patient, mine always grow in spurts anyways.

I've been giving them the meds in moderation and usually less than recommended, however I did not know about the yogurt. I should have thought of that already.

I'm sure they are getting plenty to eat. When I watch them, the rest let them eat and drink. They have constant access to food and water throughout the day also.

Meds in 'moderation' don't always do the job because they have to be used at the correct potency for the correct period of time.

But again, I would completely stop all medications! Dosing tiny chicks is too much for their fragile systems. Patience.

You could also feed them hard-boiled eggs yolks, mashed.

Also, are they warm enough? Chicks that get chilled will stop eating. Temperatures in the brooder have to be monitored carefully until they're feathered out. (are they in a brooder?)

Last edited:
They are in a brooder with a heat lamp. I've noticed the smallest one does shiver when I pick it up and it seems to like the heat a lot more than the rest. It's usually squeezed in between two larger chicks also. When it's in the pen though it eats, scratches and pecks, but is a little less productive about it.

Back
Top Bottom