Chicks not here!

Madjohn85

In the Brooder
7 Years
Jan 27, 2012
Central Jersey
We finally decided to take the plunge and start being 'chicken people', right here in NYC suburbia NJ.

Last night we got an email from the hatchery telling up they sent the chicks in the afternoon, and the tracking number. So, we waited this morning for the phone call from the post office.

They never came! I called them, we looked it up and saw that they were guaranteed to be here by no later than 12pm. Why do we pay $39 for shipping when they can't really guarantee delivery when they say it will happen??

And so now, hopefully they will come in tomorrow.

Has this happened to any of yous?

I almost wish we didn't know they were coming today, as now I am super anxious that they will be okay being a day late. My gretest fear is that they will all come dead, and I knownot to blame the hatchery, but usps. :(

We are getting 8, and they are coming from Meyer's. Since we really do live in suburbia, we thought we probalby shouldn't freak out our neighbors, and it is hard finding someone to split the normal 25 minimum per order places, and finding a place that sold less than that.

They are coming from Ohio.

I got my email last night also. I dont expect mine until tomorrow. Unfortunetly they are shipped priority so I dont get stop by stop tracking updates , they are only updated once a day. It's nerve wracking waiting lol. Hopefully we both get our calls in the morning. Luckily I didnt pay $39 in shipping tho, mine was only $20.01. I have 17 chicks coming from Meyer and hoprfully my oder from Ideal will ship tomorrow with my 8 silkies and hoping for a Friday delivery.

A way to get around the 15 or 25 chick minimum is to order 15-25 and when they arrive sell the ones you dont want for $3-4 a piece if they are pullets. A lot of people sell them on Craigslist like that around here.

Nate

When my chicks were ordered, the hatchery gave a three day window for the arrival of the chicks. We received the e-mail notification but when I checked the tracking it was a generic message stating that the shipping info was rec'd by USPS. It is tough on the nerves waiting on the call from the post office. The tracking system lags way behind. Turns out the chicks arrived on the 2nd day. Hang in there! Welcome to world of chickens - MadJohn85

They should arrive tomorrow. It is usually 2 days. They should be fine. Try not to worry, it is nerve racking.

welcome-byc.gif

Well, we got a phone call at 3:17 this morning from the post office.
th.gif

My husband jumped out of bed and took the call, and told them we would be there in 10 minutes. At 3:17 am, being excited about the chicks is not as easy to bring to the surface as it is when you are awake. I asked him if I had to go. He said yes.

They are all alive and so far...doing well!!!

And so darn cute. He went back to sleep as soon as we got them settled; made sure they all drank water and seemed comfortable. I can't go to sleep because...well they are so darn cute.

And how adorable were they when they were all huddled up together squashing each other in the corner of the box trying to stay warm. Poor babies.

So, unless something odd happens, a good ending to a frustrating beginning.

Congrats on getting your chics. I still didnt get my call. I'll be surprised if they get here today it's solid ice outside right now and still raining.

Back
Top Bottom