Chicks not leaving nest with mama hen?

MageofMist

Crowing
5 Years
Dec 9, 2016
Britain
The chicks are healthy and can run and jump quite well for being 5 days old and are very active and curious, but they are also quite stubborn. Mama hen just tried convincing her chicks to follow her out of the nestbox, and even the one that was trapped under her wing and fell out when she was out of the box, ran back in.

She tried clucking to them, and pecking at the ground, but they just stood there in the nestbox staring and chirping. They normally follow her around and are practically glued to her, but I guess this morning they are a bit lazy? Mama hen caved in and went back on the nestbox after a few tries in convincing the chicks.

Inviting a broody plus her chicks onto your lap together will insure life-long lap hens or if you don't care about that, hens who are easily handled.

Some folks lament their broody-raised chicks turn out to be human adverse or at best, indifferent. When I include my broody when I hold her chicks, they grow up completely calm and trusting of being handled.

Nestbox is at ground level right?
Was it cooler out or dew on the grass/run?
If they felt cold they probably felt as you might on a chilly winter morning. Just want to sleep in! XD
I wouldn't worry unless they did it many days in a row. Make sure they have food and water.

Yeah, those five-day olds ought to be hungry by now. But it's easier for the broody to teach them to eat if you sprinkle chick crumbles over the floor. I also used minced boiled egg to supplement the food during the first week.They should also be able to easily access water. Have they drunk yet?

If you do not have the chicks in a nest on the ground, it makes it nearly impossible for the hen to get them down out of it, let alone back up into it. Think about logistics. A broody nesting free range wouldn't build a nest up high. Or most wouldn't.

Peal a hard boiled egg and mash it up into small bits. Next scoop up 1/2 cup of uncooked old fashion rolled oat meal. Give these two treats to your biddies on a clean piece of cardboard. If they wont leave the nest for hard boiled egg, I am afraid that your chicks are dead. :D

Well, I must have some zombies then. :lau Boiled up some quail eggs as they are faster and more "chick sized" and scrambled them and added a bit of oats... Well, They poked their heads out but didn't leave. I took mama out and she food called, and they finally came running out, and mama headed to the door to lead them outside once all of it was gone... Nope, babies ran right back into the nestbox.

I agree with mama hen, "Grah"

I put a small bowl full of stones infront of the nest so mama can get some water as it is a hot day. It didn't have stones at first but after an enthusiastic chick face-planted in it and scared me half-to-death by acting like it had breathed some in, before sneezing it out and returning back to it's ordinary chirpy self. The water wasn't even that deep, it was like, ankle-high for the tiny chicks. :hmm

Yeah, those five-day olds ought to be hungry by now. But it's easier for the broody to teach them to eat if you sprinkle chick crumbles over the floor. I also used minced boiled egg to supplement the food during the first week.They should also be able to easily access water. Have they drunk yet?

If you do not have the chicks in a nest on the ground, it makes it nearly impossible for the hen to get them down out of it, let alone back up into it. Think about logistics. A broody nesting free range wouldn't build a nest up high. Or most wouldn't.

I have the nest on the ground and they can jump in and out with ease, and they have been eating and drinking fine when they decide to leave their little den, otherwise I have to put food in for them so they don't starve. They do have a little waterer I put outside the nest before I put the bowl by it for mama, which they used when I brooded them (to ensure they were eating, drinking and pooping properly) they pop out every now and then to drink from, but always go right back into the nest.

A vid from when they were outside, I brought the box out with them for easy nest access and also for easy water access by the water bottle. Mama hen is used to me moving her nest about from when I had to clean the kitchen floor when she was brooding.

The chicks are off the nest with mama hen now. I swear these things think they are slippers, running under my feet constantly. :lau

I also had the hen hop on my lap to sit with me and her babies after I rescued one that had gotten lost outside, trapped behind the old rabbit hutch. I sat down with the lost chick to check it over, then mama hen and the 4 other chicks hopped onto my lap.

Back
Top Bottom