Chicks sneezing and heavy breathing

Nsvgrms

Hatching
Jun 23, 2020
I'm new to chickens and have 5 one week old chicks. They have been sneezing a bit since I got them but two of them are sneezing more than the rest and scratching their faces. They are also breathing with their mouths open a bit when they are about to go to sleep. I noticed them doing this when I first got them but thought it was because the brooder was too hot (they stopped doing it when I moved the heat lamp back), but now I'm worried because of the scratching, sneezing, and heavy breathing. They are quite active and eating, drinking, and pooping normally and I can't see any discharge, but I can't help but be concerned they have a respiratory illness.

Thanks!!

I'm new to chickens and have 5 one week old chicks. They have been sneezing a bit since I got them but two of them are sneezing more than the rest and scratching their faces. They are also breathing with their mouths open a bit when they are about to go to sleep. I noticed them doing this when I first got them but thought it was because the brooder was too hot (they stopped doing it when I moved the heat lamp back), but now I'm worried because of the scratching, sneezing, and heavy breathing. They are quite active and eating, drinking, and pooping normally and I can't see any discharge, but I can't help but be concerned they have a respiratory illness.

Thanks!!
Maybe try some VetRx? You can find it almost anywhere, tsc has it. You can order it on Amazon as well... good luck :hugs
Also welcome to byc!!:welcome

Thanks!!
Please post some photos of the chicks and the brooder set-up.
A video of their actions - the sneezing/scratching may be helpful as well - upload video to youtube and provide a link.

Do you notice the chicks sneezing/scratching more right after they eat or drink?

How warm is your brooder?

Back
Top Bottom