Chicks Sneezing?

BrittChick15

Chirping
Apr 18, 2019
North Eastern Pennsylvania
Hello Everyone!
I just have a quick question, I put my 8 chicks (6-7weeks old) out in their coop this weekend. While they were digging around in the run I noticed they were sneezing? Chickens sneeze? LoL :p well anyway, it’s not a lot but between the 8 of them it’s frequent. And not just one is doing it. They all seem happy, healthy, and active! I was thinking it could be the blades of grass going in their nostrils causing a tickle but some would just sneeze while standing looking around the pen. Should I treat with VetRx or just wait it out and see? I have them on organic starter/ grower and ACV with electrolytes and probiotic in their water. Thank you!

Yes, chickens sneeze on occasion, not a big deal. Respiratory diseases can cause sneezing, however there's plenty of other symptoms that you wouldve observed and you wouldve mentioned in your post if you observed them.
That said, I suspect it's something in the environment causing them to sneeze. Here are a few examples; inhalation of feed dust, dust from dust bathing, diatomacious earth (DE,)
pesticides, pollen, ammonia fumes from soiled bedding, too much dander in bedding, improper ventilation in coop.

Yes, chickens sneeze on occasion, not a big deal. Respiratory diseases can cause sneezing, however there's plenty of other symptoms that you wouldve observed and you wouldve mentioned in your post if you observed them.
That said, I suspect it's something in the environment causing them to sneeze. Here are a few examples; inhalation of feed dust, dust from dust bathing, diatomacious earth (DE,)
pesticides, pollen, ammonia fumes from soiled bedding, too much dander in bedding, improper ventilation in coop.

Thank you!!! That makes sense I just got a little worried I guess

Hey I’m replying to my original post because things have changed... drastically and I hope not for the worst. My one pullet has gone down hill the past couple of days. Very lethargic, keeping to herself and just acting funny. Her poop looked normal so everyone was telling me to treat for coccidiosis. So now they are all are being treated with corrid. However now my girl is sneezing excessively and still lethargic with hardly any improvement. Her breathing is also concerning, she’s breathing heavy but not panting with her beak wide open. It just looks like she is taking very heavy breaths. They are on day 2 of 5 of the corrid treatment. Once that is done is there something else I can do or do in the meantime to help her? I’m afraid I’ll wake up one day to a dead bird in my coop :(

You can add vitamins and electrolytes to their water for an immunity boost. Could there be mold in the litter? If so, I would change it all out, if possible. Also, can you check for crop function? It should be full before bed and empty in the morning. Now that they are outdoors (and bugs, etc.) do they have access to grit?

Oh no! I'm so sorry. :(

definitely start her with some electrolytes in her water. I've used electrolytes for my sick ducklings and chicks, and it works really well, and helps them get stronger and keeps them hydrated. like @micstrachan said, check for mold. I would replace all the bedding if possible. do you have several birds crammed into one area? do they have a big enough run where they can get fresh air? I hope she gets better!

I also should have asked about the coop itself. How big is it, how many birds, and how is ventilation?

So she is the only one with symptoms, the rest are healthy and active. I have 8 chickens and they do have a run to go out during the day. The coop is dry so no mold but I will change the bedding this week if it’s not too miserable out. But it’s fairly clean and very dry. They are still on starter/grower but I mix grit with it since they are outside and yes her crop is empty in the morning when I check. I was told not to give any electrolytes or vitamins while they are in the corrid water. Is there any kind of treat that is high in vitamins that I can give them. She is not improving even after giving her a 2 drops of concentrated corrid this morning. But she’s the one sneezing continuously. I’m really worried about her. At first I thought it was lice or mites because she was excessively cleaning herself but even after rubbing her down in DE she’s still lethargic and lazy.

Oh no! I'm so sorry. :(

definitely start her with some electrolytes in her water. I've used electrolytes for my sick ducklings and chicks, and it works really well, and helps them get stronger and keeps them hydrated. like @micstrachan said, check for mold. I would replace all the bedding if possible. do you have several birds crammed into one area? do they have a big enough run where they can get fresh air? I hope she gets better!

Please see response above and let me know what you think.

Back
Top Bottom