Chicks Sneezing

Minchi

Songster
7 Years
Apr 21, 2012
Parker, CO
My chicks are about 3 to 4 weeks old and I have noticed that they have started sneezing. Not much just every once in a while. Two of them are doing it so far as I can tell also every once in a while they open there beaks or keep them open with no sound???? They eat and drink okay. Can chicks pant like a cat or dog, are they too hot?

Generally if chicks pant and hold their wings out they are too hot. Sneezing could be several things, could be as simple as a lot of dust. Are they outside? on shavings? mixed with older chickens? Still have a heat lamp?

They are indoors with pine shavings, I think 2 are 2 weeks and one is 3 weeks old (she is much bigger and more developed then the others). I am still using the heat lamp but it is a large cage, they are not sticking out there necks or holding out there wings. They actually sleep rather close to the heat lamp, and next to each other. I know they peck at the dust from the pine shavings, I am still giving them a soft form of there feed (feed and water). I am starting to get them back to hard feed.

Back
Top Bottom