Chinese chicks - 5 weeks (strange colour?)

Kitei

In the Brooder
7 Years
Jul 9, 2012
My 10 chicks are now 5 weeks old, maybe a little more, and I think they're a little easier to tell apart now, colour-wise. There's one chick, though, that I have no clue on.
This is her:

I originally thought cinnamon, but she (I'm also assuming hen) has some strange colours. One the first image, the red you can see under her wing has light blue/grey barring, and the barring on her breast and underneath is actually slate grey. Her feathers are still growing in, but a lot of the top feathers look ash-grey to me. Anyone know what she is?

Now for the rest of the chicks:

Her again:

Male. I think red breasted blue, but it's very hard to tell. He's mostly brown on top, red coming in underneath, and a small amount of blue around the face and chest.

Hen, I assume. I thought Cinnamon Pied? Could be wrong on the cinnamon.

Tuxedo? Not entirely sure on the colour, but I assumed a hen due to how pale and speckled it is?

Sorry I haven't got a better picture, but this is a red breasted blue male.

Again, only photo I could get. Dark faced cinnamon, I'm sure, but not a clue on what sex.

Silver tuxedo?
Again, not sure on sex.

I'm assuming another red breasted.

Not a clue on this.

Silver. Sex unknown.

I do love them, they're so pretty! xD

at 5 weeks they are still getting the adult colors in so it is really hard to tell. let them finish getting the adult feathers in about a week or two then repost photos. The top one almost looks like a male not female but like I say it is still early.

I was pretty sure it was a hen due to the barring on the feathers - it has it all over, whereas I would only expect to see barring on the backs of red breasted males and blue breasted males, etc, where they have the brown feathering along their backs? Also, it has a pale brown bib, no white, and though I understand not all males do have the black/white bibs, I think it's more likely to be a hen.

Looked at some photos and thought maybe a cinnamon red breasted? She's absolutely beautiful at the moment, the photos don't do any justice.

I'm at a complete loss with both the young silver and my older silver bird in regards to sexing. Both of them have pale ivory coloured bibs with no dark outlining, and I know pale bibs, though not white, are fairly common on silver hens. But I've had no eggs from the older bird, and it must be... 14-15 weeks old by now, so... It's also very quiet. I've not heard a peep from it since I separated it.

Does anyone know how to vent sex them? I mean, I know what to look for, mostly, but not how to actually do it. I had a careful go earlier and it didn't really show anything, so pretty sure I was doing it wrong.

Back
Top Bottom