Chocolate mottled bantam Cochin to black, blue and or grey Silkie hens what would the offspring be?

The chocolate gene is sexlinked, so the gene inherits differently from males than from females. I will assume since you specified Silkie hens that the Cochin is male. So he should produce chocolate daughters and not-chocolate sons who carry a chocolate gene with your Silkie hens.

Beyond that, the crosses should go the same as if you were crossing a Black individual to any of those birds. Mottling is recessive, so will not express on the first generation cross, but will be carried by the offspring. So with Black Silkie hens, you should get Black male offspring and Chocolate female offspring. With the Blue Silkie hens, you should get equal numbers of Black and Blue male offspring, and equal numbers of Chocolate and Mauve female offspring.

I am not sure what the genetics are exactly in Gray Silkies, but because Chocolate Mottled is based on extended black, that should cover up those genes and the offspring should be mostly solid-colored anyway, likely with color leaking through as they grow. Other than the color leakage, the cross should give you the same results as crossing to Black.

As for traits beyond plumage coloring, you should expect what looks like something between a rose comb and a walnut comb on the offspring, crests that are likely smaller than the Silkie parent's crest, beards if the Silkie parent is bearded, extra toes (sometimes only on one foot as the gene is weird that way), and smooth feathering like the Cochin, not silkied because that trait is also recessive. Since I am assuming the Cochin is the male, all offspring should also have pale skin like him, but the gene for yellow skin is recessive so their skin should be pinkish or white instead of yellow like his. I think that covers just about everything, but let me know if there's anything else you'd like to know. 🙂

Back
Top Bottom