forestfolke

In the Brooder
Jun 24, 2019
Forest Lake, MN
for my litter in the coop and run I was going to do sand but the quarry mixed a bunch of clay in with the fill sand. Is there any reason the clay could become an issue? I’m trying to be as frugal with this build as possible and don’t want to spend another 200+ on bedding so I’m hoping it will be okay. I am going to cover the entire run to protect from predators and the weather so it won’t get as wet (hopefully!) thank you all for your help.

for my litter in the coop and run I was going to do sand but the quarry mixed a bunch of clay in with the fill sand. Is there any reason the clay could become an issue? I’m trying to be as frugal with this build as possible and don’t want to spend another 200+ on bedding so I’m hoping it will be okay. I am going to cover the entire run to protect from predators and the weather so it won’t get as wet (hopefully!) thank you all for your help.
Mixing clay and sand can end up with a product that is rock hard like cement.

Sand by itself drains excellent. Clay does not drain well at all.

The sand mixture might be ok to use in a covered area where it'll stay dry. It's been my experience that if sand gets wet, it also gets really stinky, especially with poop mixed in. You will have to keep the poo scooped and sifted out, as it won't decompose like it would with shavings or wood chips.

I have a smaller area under my coop filled with sand and dirt for dust bathing, and the open outdoor run area is filled with wood chips. You can probably get a few loads dropped off for free from your local tree cutting service.

If you do cover the entire sand run, be sure to also use gutters to direct rainwater away. Even a small roof can dump a significant amount of water right next to the edge of the run and end up flooding into it.

Mixing clay and sand can end up with a product that is rock hard like cement.
Ditto Dat^^^

but the quarry mixed a bunch of clay in with the fill sand.
How can you tell it's got clay in it?
Did you order plain sand or....?

and the open outdoor run area is filled with wood chips.
Agrees a 'forest floor' like environment is best, IMO.
full

Oh, and....Welcome to BYC! @forestfolke
Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, (laptop version shown), then it's always there!
upload_2019-6-24_17-24-44.png

I ordered fill sand but there’s massive clumps of clay in it so it’s safe to assume there’s smaller bits in as well. I might attempt contacting the quarry because this isn’t really what I ordered but we’ll see if they do anything about it :confused:

How close to a rice growing area are you? If you're close, you can often get pickup loads of the empty rice husks free or close to free. Mixing that with, or simply spreading it out over that sand and clay and allowing your chickens to mix it in could solve the entire problem. Rice husks are durable, light weight, and will help break down the clay. They don't get moldy, slick or slimy.

Back
Top Bottom