Cleaned the coop Been a Year

7L Farm

Songster
9 Years
Jul 22, 2010
Anderson, Texas
I do daily poop management & add hay to their nest boxes that's it. My chickens do free range.My coop's floor is sand with pine shavings. I get the rake & a bucket. start raking up the shavings & notice they still look new. Finally, get them all out & the whole time I'm telling myself the shavings look perfectly fine.
But I wanted to add some more sand to even the floor out. So, I added more sand, added some DE ,& new pine shavings. Cleaned the roost with Clorox's & swept the spider webs away. Moral to the story I think I'll wait longer next year I swear the shavings looked almost brand new after a year.
OK , its done well here comes the gang their all huddled by the door BOK BOK & sounds I'd never heard before but they wouldn't go in. One thing is for sure chickens hate things to be changed.

Whoa!
ep.gif
thats strange...
hmm.png

I have been wondering when I need to change the straw in mine. They have only been in there 2 weeks, but I do not want them sick or in a dirty house LOL
lol.png
and how do I do poop control
roll.png

Quote:
This will probably gross you out but you asked. I want all the poop I can get for my garden. So, I wear rubber gloves & pick it up everyday & add it to my compost pile. Thats the reason why my shavings were so clean. It takes about 2 minutes everyday but it sure keeps the coop clean & there's never been an odor from the coop.

yea I thought I was the only martha stewart to do that takes me 3 min, to clean it up too
yippiechickie.gif
wee.gif

That was (kinda) my plan. I am lazy so was going to just wait a while and put the straw and all in the compost pile
big_smile.png

Will that work? Or do I really have to get the poo out of the straw?
hu.gif

Quote:
That will work but to me that would be more work. I just bring a bucket in the coop & put the gloves on & pick it up & throw it in the compost bin. I usually do it later in the day so its firm up by then. I like pine shavings for the floor & hay in the nest boxes.

my coop gets so wet and yucky especially with all this rain that i dont think it would be reasonable to weight longer than a week. i think everyones situation is different. i only go through 1 bag of shavings every other month at 5$ a bag.

Back
Top Bottom