Clipping wings

Jul 1, 2019
New Mexico
I have a four-foot-tall fence around my chicken yard. My three White Leghorns are constantly flying over it, and even my rather large and heavy Barred Rocks can get over it. Should I clip their wings? How should I do it if I do?

When you hold the wing open, there are two layers of feathers. Only cut the bottom layer and only cut 1 wing. It will still allow your birds to get up on their roost, but should keep them a little off balance so they don't fly over the fence. I suggest looking it up on YouTube to see a couple videos of how to do it. If done correctly it doesn't hurt the chicken. Also, the feathers will eventually grow back so you'll have to keep them trimmed.

Okay, thank you! Should I clip all of my chickens or just the fliers? How long between clippings? Could they still fly over a 30 inch fence with clipped wings? And would they still be able to fly away if a predator got in?

Okay, thank you! Should I clip all of my chickens or just the fliers? How long between clippings? Could they still fly over a 30 inch fence with clipped wings? And would they still be able to fly away if a predator got in?

I'd only clip the problem birds. But it will make it harder for them to escape a predator, so that's the trade off. If the chickens are confined to a run, best to make the run as predator proof as possible, so they don't need to be escaping.

Lol.
You will not keep a leghorn in a 4' fence period.
I know the theory of clipping only one wing because it throws them off balance but I can guarantee that does not limit a leghorn.
Clipping both wings does more to ground them.
I have to clip both wings and clip all the wing feathers to keep them in 6' fences.

Back
Top Bottom