Cloaca plugged - pictures in post

Where do I get that?
Can you get Safeguard or Panacur paste de-wormer in BC? If not, look on ebay for Safeguard liquid for goats.
https://www.ebay.ca/sch/i.html?_odk...sid=m570.l1313&_nkw=safeguard+125+ml&_sacat=0

safe-guard-goat-dewormer-(125ml).jpg safeguard_paste.jpg panacur_paste_1.jpg

I gave her a break. Last night when I brought her in to check in the bathroom, she was shaking scared and vocalizing, she didn't want me to touch her on the back. I figure she was expecting me to poke and prod and it hurts with every spot I injure and bleed. So I just did the absolute minimum, wiped clean and let her heal a bit on her own for a few days. She got her second dose of dewormer today. I am hopeful that will clear her up. Still doing Colace and coconut oil but stopped the Preparation H. The wound has shrunk. She is pooping lots and pretty stinky but most of it does not stick to her.

She is sleeping in the kitchen in a dog crate until the feathers come back. Otherwise she is cold outside. The nights get chilly.
No egg for at least a week. She might be done with that. (I had a hen that was laying shell-less eggs from time to time. I couldn't figure out who. I wonder if it was this hen. I have not seen any soft egg for a while.)

Glad too hear that she is continuing to heal. I would probably just give some coconut oil instead of both that and the colase. Does her feed have any probiotics? Buttermilk, plain yogurt, or Probios or other brands of probiotics may be helpful to her gut bacteria.

Glad too hear that she is continuing to heal. I would probably just give some coconut oil instead of both that and the colase. Does her feed have any probiotics? Buttermilk, plain yogurt, or Probios or other brands of probiotics may be helpful to her gut bacteria.
She is getting layer pellets and she is free ranging. I giver her yogurt in the morning and evening.

Little Miss Explorer 2.0 is so sweet! She looked to be enjoying her tub time. Since it's warmer inside than out, I am glad that you have been keeping her in the kitchen. She's likely glad that she can keep an eye on what you're doing, lol, since she was always curious about the goings-on inside!

I have not posted for 5 weeks so I thought I would update you on Explorer’s progress.

She was doing well in her flock until this week. The cloaca issue never resolved completely. She needed regular cleaning. The skin outside healed very well, but the stuff getting stuck on it made it inflamed so I scraped less frequently to give her a chance to heal. She had gained weight and filled out, she is not as bony as she was.

This week she has slowed down a lot, and was becoming lethargic and just stayed out of the way. She is still eating but very obviously struggling and exhausted. This evening she did not go into the coop and I had to look for her almostban hour. I knew she wouldn’t go too far and I found her hiding by the dog house.

Today she got a soak bath again and the gunk fell off without bleeding.,Outside the skin is pretty nice healed and pink, but inside she looks raw. She is not plugged up, I am able to check with a finger, but her breathing is laboured and her back side swells up with every breath. I am not able to relieve the internal pressure. She has runny poop with lots of white in it. Whatever is making her difficult to get rid of it is higher up inside her body. My guess is that she has salpingitis.

She is trying to sleep, very obviously not comfortable and she is silently talking with every breath. She is not moving much, except when I get her to sit, she stands up after a while and she is fluffed up.
I didn’t want to bug her much in case she is dying, just made her comfortable sitting in the crate. Once in a while she looks if I am still here, then she closes her eyes.

I wouldn’t be surprised if this is her last night. She does not take the yogurt and the coconut oil that she used to devour. We will see in the morning if she can go outside or not.
image.jpg

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom