Close call

eggspresso

Chirping
8 Years
Nov 29, 2011
Going to the hen house after dark to move a broody hen, I came face-to-face with a possum that was poised to kill the hen! I fought him for 20 minutes with a BB gun, jim-swing, and crowbar, but he escaped, hissing at my dog as he exited. Those varmits are hard to kill! Last night my live trap got him.

Kill it baby!! IT HISSED AT YOUR DOG! That pussom has an attitude!
No, that possum felt threatened and cornered. They do that. Have you ever seen a cornered raccoon? Now THAT"S attitude! They hiss, bark, growl, snarl and try to bite. Why? Because they're fearing for their lives, that's why. Just like that possum. OP, I hope that if you did kill the thing, it was alot more quickly and humanely than 20 minutes of fighting with it. Shotgun or .22 are our weapons of choice. Depends on the varmint and the circumstances.

Someone on here constantly says the 3 S's ... can't remember now what it means. Shoot, shovel, and shut up or something like that! One massacre will change you're view of most predators.

I got a possum yesterday too.My kids are mad at me. I said," Would you feel different if he killed Jack,broken toe,or pluckers?" and they said," Yes,then you could kill it."

Well I said," Sorry,be mad at me then,because letting a predator kill the chickens you love,so I can then act is foolish imo. I would rather you be mad at me than be sad over our flock getting killed."

I don't really understand why there is the need to wait.Wait till a predator kills.Wait till a vicious dog bites your kid.Wait till the weird guy down the street attacks someone.Wait,wait,wait......then act.

SSS all the way.

Well, I released that young possum some distance away from any chicken residences. But then a couple of nights later, two irreplaceable Penedesenca hens were killed. The huge ugly bull possum trapped the next night was humanely euthanized.

I got a possum yesterday too.My kids are mad at me. I said," Would you feel different if he killed Jack,broken toe,or pluckers?" and they said," Yes,then you could kill it."

Well I said," Sorry,be mad at me then,because letting a predator kill the chickens you love,so I can then act is foolish imo. I would rather you be mad at me than be sad over our flock getting killed."

I don't really understand why there is the need to wait.Wait till a predator kills.Wait till a vicious dog bites your kid.Wait till the weird guy down the street attacks someone.Wait,wait,wait......then act.

SSS all the way.
I took action after the coons took out my first 5 ladies at 8 weeks old. I had no idea they were in the woods. If I had the chance to take 'em out before losing my girls, you better believe I would not hesitate. A varmint will be sneaky and murder the helpless. Don't ever take that chance. The girls are your responsibility to keep safe. They depend on you. No one should feel the sick feeling of walking up on feathers. Taking out the anger and shame of knowing I let them down on the predator started my getting over the event. SSS!!

SSS

I took action after the coons took out my first 5 ladies at 8 weeks old. I had no idea they were in the woods. If I had the chance to take 'em out before losing my girls, you better believe I would not hesitate. A varmint will be sneaky and murder the helpless. Don't ever take that chance. The girls are your responsibility to keep safe. They depend on you. No one should feel the sick feeling of walking up on feathers. Taking out the anger and shame of knowing I let them down on the predator started my getting over the event. SSS!!

Back
Top Bottom