Close to laying?

I noticed 2 weeks ago that the combs on 2 of mine had gotten larger and red. The next week one of them started squatting when my boys would try to catch them. Then we got home this Sunday from a weekend trip and found our first egg in the coop.

17 weeks old white leghorn/Rhode Island Red mix
Nice! I always thought that they all began laying after 21 weeks, but good to know more people have experiences with younger pullets. Hopefully i will get my first egg too soon 😀

I pretty much have the same question. I have a Blue Giant that is 3 months old and huge! Her comb and waddle have turned very red to the point that I'm afraid she will start laying soon even though I have read they are slow to mature. Has anyone had this experience with their Blue Giants? Oh, and my nest boxes are around 14" x 14" but I don't think she will fit in one that size. Again, does anyone have any advice on this matter as well?

I pretty much have the same question. I have a Blue Giant that is 3 months old and huge! Her comb and waddle have turned very red to the point that I'm afraid she will start laying soon even though I have read they are slow to mature. Has anyone had this experience with their Blue Giants? Oh, and my nest boxes are around 14" x 14" but I don't think she will fit in one that size. Again, does anyone have any advice on this matter as well?
I don't have blue giants but i have Brahma's, is there a possibility that she is a mix? Maybe it still will take some time. If she can't fit in the nest boxes she will probably search for another spot to lay her eggs. Do you have a picture of her?

Last edited:
She is a purebred. I'll take a picture and send it. I do have enough room to rearrange the size of the nest boxes. What size box do you think a chicken that big would need?

She is a purebred. I'll take a picture and send it. I do have enough room to rearrange the size of the nest boxes. What size box do you think a chicken that big would need?
It depends, some chickens like cozy nest boxes but you can always go somewhat bigger like 16x16 if you have enough room

Back
Top Bottom