Status
Not open for further replies.
There are always multiple sides to every situation, if the museum is working on controlling the rodents and monitoring their birds as closely as they claim then everything is basically in order. Pictures can be cherry picked by both parties.

I’m not discounting that there may have been/are issues with the health of some birds, and those birds may well have been euthanized due to ill health. The husbandry appears to be in order and acceptable. There will always be health issues with a flock, some birds will have lice/mites/become ill and die. Provided the veterinarian is tending the flock and it’s being adequately cared for I see no problems here.

In addition, there may be an issue with the fact that you are not a volunteer nor are you a business that can donate a service, such as fixing the coop. They have basic legal concerns, and insurance requirements. This is why only volunteers can work with the animals etc. also if you were to injure yourself fixing the coop but not a volunteer nor a business owner donating their service (like a licensed/insured handyman service), then this is difficult territory for both parties, and thus is not allowed.

It is a public institution, therefore they must have some sort of Animal Care and Use Committee with a form filled out detailing care regimen. That would serve as a starting point to work from. It may be that protocols are not followed, or that they need to be improved upon. Approach needs to be carried out so you do not come across as a liability looking for a fight.

@ShannonR, the OP has stated several times, that she is not the only one to see a problem here, and to complain. That hardly makes her an "animal rights nazi" and, frankly, there's absolutely NOTHING WRONG with seeing a problem and speaking up about it. Where would the world be, if everyone just said "it's not my problem" and went about minding their own business. I certainly hope, if you are in need of help, that people don't just shrug and pass by, because it's "not their business"

Ok, I've seen the videos of the rats. Rodent problems are tricky to deal with. Perhaps someone (not you as the museum does not listen to you, but maybe a friend on the outside or inside) needs to mention them, but perhaps with a view to the safety of the public. Mention the holes as a tripping hazard to guests, the rats as disease vectors, that if guests continue to see this number of rats that they will not continue to visit. Leave the chickens out of it. The rat problem is a problem on many levels. Perhaps it is being dealt with. Perhaps a volunteer or employee can find that out simply by asking management what is being done about the rats. Perhaps some volunteers or employees could mention that they do not feel comfortable working in these conditions and would like to know that the rat problem is being taken care of.

This is an old building, and a chicken coop, and a non-profit, they are not going to jack up the building and install a concrete foundation, the interior floor is likely dirt and likely going to stay that way. Soil could be brought in to fill holes, but until the rats are gone the holes are going to keep appearing.

Would the museum be open to giving a home to a feral working cat from Dumb Friends League? Just another outside of the box idea.

Wow, I must say I'm surprised at some of the confrontational/hostile responses. The OP has been much more polite with her responses than I would have been, especially to the poster who seems to have a large chip on his/her shoulder.
I agree 100%. Instead of offering suggestions to the OP's question, there have been attacks against her flock keeping methods, suggestions that she is CAUSING the park's flock harm, and statements that her concerns are not only misleading but downright negating them. I've had a post flagged for merely suggesting a member be nicer to another member who posted. I figure if folks are so quick to pick on her flock management methods they would go to town on the park that is potentially neglecting their flock.

To the OP, since your current efforts and suggestions are being ignored, I would call animal control. I would also call city/town hall. If animal control comes out and investigates then they will rule that either the park is doing their due diligence in caring for the flock or that improvements need to be made in their methods. If they do not investigate, I would talk to the press.

Keep documenting via pics and video. You're doing the right thing! Hopefully something will work to get the flock's living situation improved.

"Unnecessary violence against animals is a heinous crime. Be a voice for those who do not have one."
Debasish Mridha

Huh? The Humane Society’s investigators are educators people wise enough to know that education and guidance is the way to turn around bad situations. To understand and correct the problem it needs to be addressed from all sides not just one. You can’t teach someone if they cannot first acknowledge there’s a problem. There are people who will work with you. Teach you. The squeaky wheel gets the grease. So I’m probably misunderstanding that reporting is a bad thing?
@centrarchid submitted a very clear and concise letter informing the museum of this thread. The letter is absent of inflammatory wording; it should be well received and it would be surprising if it did not yield positive results. Your comment was posted directly after.

@HensSweetHens has commented that changes have been and are being implemented. This change is positive and welcome, isn't it? Issues are being acknowledged.

There is a chain of command. For comparison, say this is regarding an elementary school child having an issue between them and their homeroom teacher. The child's parents have consulted the teacher. Getting no results they've contacted the Vice Principal and nothing has happened. But the problems still exist. A person wouldn't jump to contacting your national board of education to report the teacher and Vice Principal. That's an extreme measure. From contacting the Vice Principal, the parents should contact the Principal, then the Superintendent, then the school board. If the issue still exists, one would go further to possibly contact your elected government official or the state board of education.

This museum is no different. Beyond the volunteers and the person in charge of that area, there is one (or more than one) person overseeing the entire museum and park and they will answer to a board of directors. Someone from there will report to the board of directors for the city. Patience is required, change does not happen quickly with boards or levels of government.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom