Status
Not open for further replies.
Lets give the museum a chance to work on the situation? Four or five days is not adequate time for any lasting changes or to eliminate a rodent issue. And I’m sorry but there is a clear bias against the museum from the OP, look at the tags... “animal neglect” “uncaring chicken keepers” “intentional animal neglect” these are accusatory and almost defamation. If someone tagged me with these terms I would be very likely to respond less well to their concerns.

Addressing the organization in a respectful mature manner as @centrarchid did was clearly effective. I still don’t think a public forum is an appropriate place to make defamatory and accusing statements about a specific organization, or that this is the best way to help the chickens if that is the primary concern. Just because it did work in this instance doesn’t mean it’s the proper way to address the problem.

The rat issue needs attention. Treats generally, but not always, dilute nutrient quality for the birds. Treat option I would pursue would coarse / intact mix of grains or even meal worms. Feed in elevated feeder either needs to be consumed completely by end of day or be protected from moisture. Moisture is a headache around feeders.

Health of birds I could see looks good. You do occasionally loose a chicken, even under the best of conditions. Flock turnover rate would be more telling.

I am done with this thread as I question motivation of OP. Rodents still need to be addressed.

I for one, am pretty comfortable that the museum has been alerted to the problem and seems to be working to resolve it. If things backslide after the hoorah has died down remains to be seen. Kudos to the OP for wanting to address the issues, and be concerned about the chickens welfare. Frankly, I believe her that there were problems. I am happy that the museum is working with a vet, and will continue to monitor the hens. I do think that bringing them on board to this forum, may help even further (if they choose) to educate them on some of the concerns that the OP has. Maybe a win for the chickens, even if all of the posters may not be happy. :fl that the rodents will be reduced or eliminated.

Here is the link to Golden's code. Chapter 7 deals with animals, there is additionally one other section that speaks to poultry in residential areas being restricted to 6 hens also that fencing is required (so no free ranging).

https://library.municode.com/co/golden/codes/municipal_code?nodeId=TIT7AN_CH7.15IN

7.09.010 - Cruel treatment prohibited.
SHARE LINK TO SECTIONPRINT SECTIONDOWNLOAD (DOCX) OF SECTIONSEMAIL SECTION
(a)

It shall be unlawful for any person to commit or to cause to be committed any act of cruelty, mistreatment, neglect, harassment, abandonment or torture of any animal. Consistent therewith, it is unlawful for any person to unnecessarily beat or torment any animal; to overdrive, overload, drive when overloaded to or overwork any animal; to inhumanely trap or capture any animal; to unnecessarily fail to provide any animal in the person's care and custody with proper food, drink and protection from the weather; to carry any animal in or upon any vehicle without such restraint or control as to prevent injury or death to such animal, or to attach any animal to a vehicle in a cruel or inhumane manner, to cause any animal to be needlessly and/or cruelly wounded, mutilated, strangulated, or inhumanely killed; or in any other way to commit or cause to be committed any similar acts of cruelty or to inhumane treatment of any animal. Ownership of animals shall not be a justifiable defense for such acts or for a violation of this section.

What are you intentions? Do you want to have them shut down and prohibited from keeping chickens? Do you want to improve conditions for the chickens?

Even Animal Control generally would give someone a reasonable amount of time to correct any problems before seizing their animals.

You said the chicken that was euthanized was only done so after the vet advised that it was the best course of action. If this is the case, then the museum acted responsibly as they are working directly with a vet, an authority of the condition of the chicken. Perhaps there were other underlying problems and the leg was just a piece of the puzzle.

It is not an unreasonable request to ask people not to bring food from home for the chickens. This policy is likely for the health and safety of the chickens. I certainly wouldn't be comfortable with random people stopping by my coop and giving random food to my flock, especially when I try to feed them balanced rations, and these random people could bring something that is not safe for the chickens. Also if they are feeding a formulated chicken feed/pellet this is a healthy balanced meal, additional veggies and/or forage are not needed. As far as "boredom buster," it is us humans attributing the human emotion/feeling of boredom to chickens. It's debatable if chickens can even feel boredom at all. Perhaps you can build/donate something to the museum for the coop/run as a "boredom buster" that doesn't involve food, something to climb on or play with. There are lots of great ideas on BYC as well as Pinterest of things that could be added to the coop.

Another idea for the improvement of the chicken keeping would be helping to re-vamp the training program for the chicken keepers/volunteers. Could you (or someone knowledgeable) offer one hour a month of basic education on the care and keeping of chickens to anyone who will be in contact with them? Just an idea.

Another thing I noticed after visiting the museum website is that they boast that their chicken coop is over 100 years old! This is amazing, however certainly presents challenges when it comes to upkeep and repair. Additionally, preserved historic buildings must abide by strict regulations when it comes to any sort of renovations, remodels, restorations, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom