Coccidiosis in my chicken?

GardenChickens

In the Brooder
May 9, 2015
My chicken has been very lethargic for the past week and has been eating little but still drinking. Her stool is very watery and just today I noticed what I think is blood in it!

We already brought her to the vet and he gave her something against parasites that was to be absorbed through the skin but it didn't do much. He checked her and she has no egg binding problems and nothing wrong with her crop. She is going again tomorrow but I want to be prepared and know what's going on. Does she have to be separated? It's possible but our other coop is not insulated and it's winter right now.
Do you think it is coccidiosis-she is 6 months old...
Help Please!

Do you think it is coccidiosis-she is 6 months old...
Help Please!

only way to know for sure is to have the vet test the feces, you can give Corid (20% powerd) at a dose of 1/4 tsp per quart of water as the only source of water for 3 days, if it is coccidiosis the blood in the stool will clear almost immediately.

you can get the Corid at Tractor Supply, it's about 20 bucks.

EDIT: here's the link:

http://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/corid-20-amprolium-soluble-powder-10-oz?cm_vc=-10005

Last edited:
only way to know for sure is to have the vet test the feces, you can give Corid (20% powerd) at a dose of 1/4 tsp per quart of water as the only source of water for 3 days, if it is coccidiosis the blood in the stool will clear almost immediately.

you can get the Corid at Tractor Supply, it's about 20 bucks.

EDIT: here's the link:

http://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/corid-20-amprolium-soluble-powder-10-oz?cm_vc=-10005

Okay thank you! i hope our vet has the medication because I can't order from the tractor supply-I live in europe

Okay thank you! i hope our vet has the medication because I can't order from the tractor supply-I live in europe

Oh, sorry, the active ingredient is Amprolium, IF your chickens have not been vaccinated for coccidiosis (and i assume they haven't) you can feed a medicated feed as a preventative as it has Amprolium in it. it's not at a strong enough dose to cure, just as a preventative.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom