Coccidiosis? Or Not?

CluckinUP

Chirping
7 Years
Feb 23, 2016
I have a flock of 6, with one acting a bit off. Gladys is 2 years old and been laying frequently. She busted out of the coop with the rest of the gang this morning, think she ate with the rest. This afternoon, I gave the flock some scratch, in addition to their feed. Gladys hung back and didn't eat. I checked her out - comb is dark pink, eyes fine, no mites. Did notice some white discharge. Felt her vent, I didn't feel any broken shells. When I put her down, she went into the large coop, kinda standing in the egg box which no one uses - all of them seem to use an egg box in a smaller coop. Yesterday, I noticed a yolk next to a recently laid egg. I chalked it up to early morning storms that came through and maybe frightened whoever was trying to lay an egg.

This morning, I gave them the preventative dose of Corid just due to the recent rain we've had in Ga. They don't free-range but are kept in a large run, which can create conditions for Coccidia. I'm thinking I need to bump up the amount of Corid treatment dose for the next week or so. Or does this sound like something else? Everyone else seems fine, no runny poops in the morning. Appreciate any advice-thank you!

I have a flock of 6, with one acting a bit off. Gladys is 2 years old and been laying frequently. She busted out of the coop with the rest of the gang this morning, think she ate with the rest. This afternoon, I gave the flock some scratch, in addition to their feed. Gladys hung back and didn't eat. I checked her out - comb is dark pink, eyes fine, no mites. Did notice some white discharge. Felt her vent, I didn't feel any broken shells. When I put her down, she went into the large coop, kinda standing in the egg box which no one uses - all of them seem to use an egg box in a smaller coop. Yesterday, I noticed a yolk next to a recently laid egg. I chalked it up to early morning storms that came through and maybe frightened whoever was trying to lay an egg.

This morning, I gave them the preventative dose of Corid just due to the recent rain we've had in Ga. They don't free-range but are kept in a large run, which can create conditions for Coccidia. I'm thinking I need to bump up the amount of Corid treatment dose for the next week or so. Or does this sound like something else? Everyone else seems fine, no runny poops in the morning. Appreciate any advice-thank you!
coccidiosis should cause the poos of any chicken infected to look really odd, often having a little blood in it I think. Maybe check for any abnormal poos. Also by dark pink, do you mean that it looks almost purple? IF you can a picture would help.

IMG_5398.jpg

Hi Cherrynberry, not purple. Her comb looks floppy- she was born that way. :) Also, haven't seen any blood in their poop.

Back
Top Bottom