Coccidiosis or something else?

mkr

In the Brooder
8 Years
Apr 29, 2011
Hello,
I have 6 (down from 7) week old assorted chicks. I hatched them with my elementary school students (I post with a new issue or two every spring--thank you all for all the help). I am fairly sure they have cocci but I am seeking the opinions of the more experienced. Yesterday I noticed that one chick (a leghorn, I believe) was lethargic and very pasted up. While soaking the harded manure I noticed some blood in it and immediately thought cocci. I checked the others. One more (a barred rock) was pasted up--not as badly and no blood, but later I observed this one passing the runny, dark colored manure that I've read is associated with cocci. The others seemed OK but perhaps a little quieter than usual. I did not have these guys on medicated feed because the tiny hip urban chicken keeping store nearer my home doesn't stock it. I am now kicking myself for that pretty hard.

After some quick research I drove to the real feed store and got corid and medicated starter. Unfortunately the leghorn had died by the time I got back. I emptied and cleaned everything with bleach wipes and added the corrid to their water (1 tsp of 9.6% to the 1/2 gallon waterer). I also tried to eydropper them with mixed success and mixed some of the diluted corid into yogurt just to get the meds into them right away. Today I still have 6 living chicks and they seem much perkier. Someone is still passing dark runny manure but most of the poop I see is regular, brown and white, and well formed. The barred rock still seems a little lethargic and I have observed it lying down stretched out and breathing perhaps a little heavily. It pops up quickly if the others jostle it, however. I have seen everyone eat and drink on their own today.

My questions are:
1. Do you think it is coccidiois?
2. If not, what do you think killed the first chick and, most importantly, could it be something that could spread to humans? I am vigilant with hand washing and none of my students are touching the chicks, but I need to act with an abundance of caution.
3. Is there anything else I should be doing to treat the remaining chicks myself?
4. Everything I read seems to indicate that cocci does not pose any danger to humans. What about my dogs and my own flock of adult hens at home?

Thank you very much!

Back
Top Bottom