Cochin Bantam Is Sickly!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WhiteCochinLover

Songster
8 Years
Sep 10, 2011
Maryland
My white cochin bantam blossom started acting sickly this morning... her eyes arent bright they look tired she keeps falling asleep randomly... and she keeps tucking her head under her wing.... and she also has her feathers ruffled up and poofy....whats wrong with her is she cold because where I live the tep has gone from like 80 some to like 60 some and at nights it used to be like 70 some and now its 50. WHAT IN THE WORLD IS WRONG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Her with her feathers all ruffled up...
106255_091711093456.jpg

Her falling asleep...
106255_091711093526.jpg

Her with her head tucked under her wing...
106255_091711093618.jpg

PLEASE HELP! I love her sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo much and I dont want her to die!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
hit.gif

Poor little thing. I doubt that it is just the temp change that is the problem. You may want to set up an infirmary spot for her in the garage of something were you can keep an eye on her eating, drinking and pooping. Then you can report back to the forum with anything new that you notice, and we can help you figure out what is bothering her. Check her over carefully for mites, lice or fleas (especially around the vent and at the base of feathers).

I don't think she's going to die, she doesn't look bad yet. However if she doesn't get treated for whatever it is then she could take a turn for the worst.

My guess is cocci,even though she's older. Birds with cocci act lethargic, droopy, and sleepy. Another symptom is bloody diarrhea, but that doesn't always happen. I would start her on Corid right away because if it is cocci, it could kill her very quickly.

If it is cocci you can't get it (but should always wash your hands anyway) but your other birds can. It is an easy treatment (if it is cocci) and you can treat the whole flock with corrid in their water. You can get corrid at tractor supply or rural king depending on what type of farm store you have. Worst case you can order online (I use PBS animal health) and they ship next day however since its the weekend you probably wouldn't get it until mon/tues. Search this forum on coccidosis to see the dosage - usually corrid has directions for swine/beef and not chickens. I use a 20 percent corrid and I think I do a half or full teaspoon per gallon of water (not sure on the dosage, I look it up on this website when I need to use it). Nurtidrench can be a good additive to help her feel better in the meantime - it won't treat anything but it has extra vitamins/minerals to give them a boost. Also try to give her sugar water for extra energy. My guess if she isn't feeling good she probably isn't eating good either.

Do you notice her sneezing/coughing or hear her breath heavy? She could also be starting respitory issues with the weather changes and that can be treater with Tylan.

Let us know if she is showing more systems - I love cochins and hate seeing them sick. Good luck!

Thanks but how do I know for sure what she has because I cant treat her unless I know for sure what she has?..... and I brought home a 2 month old mille fleur last night and Idk she might now have gotten good sleep cause they were being mean to each other...

You can call the Vet at the MD Dept. of Agriculture, Dr. Claudia Osorio at 410-543-6610 (but not til Monday). For now call Peter Brown, AKA "the chicken doctor". He gives great advice and sells meds. His # is: 410-546-6137 or 1-800-950-8387. He can help you save her. Also you can give me a stoll sample (poop in a plastic bag) and I can check it for parasites. I have a microscope. I will be in Cambridge Sunday afternoon.
smile.png

In the meantime I would check for any other symptoms too. What does her poop look like, how does her crop feel, does it feel big and hard or big and squishy. I would also check her over for any evidence of lice or mites also does she seem to have any respiratory symptoms.
What are you feeding her and has there been any changes in the feed? But it is a good start to see if she has any worms or parasites and that is awesome that fattie will check that for you!!!
thumbsup.gif

Back
Top Bottom