Sick lavender/neon green poop?

Jun 2, 2023
I have a three month old lavender Orpington that’s been acting very sick. Head pulled in, slouched, tail tucked, less active and letting other chicks walk over top of it. I have noticed her poop is literally neon green and loose since I’ve isolated her. I haven’t fed her anything strange. I gave her a jump start dose of Corid and the put some in her water and gave her a scrambled egg with egg shells, mealworms and some herbs. Does anyone know what could be wrong or what I could do for her?

Attachments

• IMG_2239.jpeg
    IMG_2239.jpeg
    646.8 KB · Views: 165
Stop the corrid, it won't help.
X2 check the crop, also check the beak for canker.
What the usual diet?
The crop is empty and she’s definitely very thin. The only things I’ve been able to get her to eat was some scrambled eggs and live mealworms. Her usual diet is chick starter, scratch and layer crumbles since I have a mixed age flock. And she free ranges most of the day.

She’s not wanting to stand or walk anymore and only has interest in live insects. Her breathing also seems labored. Here’s her quarantine setup. She was pecking at a mealworm.

Attachments

• IMG_2241.jpeg
    IMG_2241.jpeg
    520.3 KB · Views: 18
The crop is empty and she’s definitely very thin. The only things I’ve been able to get her to eat was some scrambled eggs and live mealworms. Her usual diet is chick starter, scratch and layer crumbles since I have a mixed age flock. And she free ranges most of the day.
I'm wondering if it may be something like organ failure or reproductive issues. Try some egg yolk water with a pinch of sugar to perkher up but it honestly doesn't sound great. I'm sorry

I have a three month old lavender Orpington that’s been acting very sick. Head pulled in, slouched, tail tucked, less active and letting other chicks walk over top of it. I have noticed her poop is literally neon green and loose since I’ve isolated her. I haven’t fed her anything strange. I gave her a jump start dose of Corid and the put some in her water and gave her a scrambled egg with egg shells, mealworms and some herbs. Does anyone know what could be wrong or what I could do for her?

Her usual diet is chick starter, scratch and layer crumbles since I have a mixed age flock.
How long has she been eating layer crumbles?

If possible, take a sample of the poop to your vet to see if Coccidiosis and/or worms are part of the problem, but the Corid won't hurt her.
Direct oral jump start dose of undiluted Liquid Corid is .10ml per pound of weight given orally twice a day for 3 days, this is in addition to her drinking the mixed Corid water (2tsp Liquid Corid to 1 Gallon water). If she's not drinking on her own, then you will need to syringe fluids into her to avoid dehydration.

The yellow urates point to something going on with the liver. Any chance she ate moldy feed?

I'd cut out the scratch and layer crumbles and focus on her eating chick starter. At 3 months, she's not very likely to come into lay for at least another month or maybe more with her being an Orp. Layer feed usually has a lot of calcium which a non laying young pullet just does not need. The scratch is a treat and a filler, so omit it for now so as not to dilute the protein and nutritional value of the chick starter.

Do you know if she was vaccinated for Marek's?

How long has she been eating layer crumbles?

If possible, take a sample of the poop to your vet to see if Coccidiosis and/or worms are part of the problem, but the Corid won't hurt her.
Direct oral jump start dose of undiluted Liquid Corid is .10ml per pound of weight given orally twice a day for 3 days, this is in addition to her drinking the mixed Corid water (2tsp Liquid Corid to 1 Gallon water). If she's not drinking on her own, then you will need to syringe fluids into her to avoid dehydration.

The yellow urates point to something going on with the liver. Any chance she ate moldy feed?

I'd cut out the scratch and layer crumbles and focus on her eating chick starter. At 3 months, she's not very likely to come into lay for at least another month or maybe more with her being an Orp. Layer feed usually has a lot of calcium which a non laying young pullet just does not need. The scratch is a treat and a filler, so omit it for now so as not to dilute the protein and nutritional value of the chick starter.

Do you know if she was vaccinated for Marek's?
I bought her as a chick from tractor supply, as far as I know she should have been vaccinated. Unfortunately I can’t afford to take her to a vet. And I’ve been giving her a syringe of water with sav a chick every few hours to make sure she doesn’t get dehydrated.
Unfortunately I don’t have a way to separate my layers from my babies so even having separate feeders I can’t stop them from eating what they want. And I did have some moldy squash I threw into the compost they could have gotten into.

Back
Top Bottom