Cochin Bantams and Frizzle Cochin Bantams!!

also they can block me if they really want. I like all kinds of chickens it is fun to view any kind of frizzle and and any color frizzle I welcome all.

well to each his own you can block me and I will block you guys too
ya.gif
then we will all be happy. happy is a very nice thing!
lol.png
celebrate.gif
Nobody wants to block you. Anyone can report you if they so chose. It appears nobody wants to do that. What is desired is to stick to the topic of this site which is Cochins and Cochin Frizzles. I hope you understand.

I breed and show many varieties of Bantam Cochins including Frizzles at the National level including 4th best at last years ABA National. Won 1 Best of Show and 2 Reserve of Shows this Spring and 6 Champion Featherlegs. I promote and love the breed too much to let this site be polluted by ignorance and disrespect.

Thank you to Andy and OzarkCountry Girl for your on point comments.

Chicks are so darned endearing! They never cease to make me smile and I have to rub their soft cuteness on my cheek. (At which point I hear my mother, "Don't put that dirty animal on your face!" LOL)

I have 3 bantam frizzles one cockerel whit.pullet white one brown.should I breed whitecto white ir allow the white to fertilize the brown frizzles eggs.they arent laying yet and im new to any kind of chickens.but these are beautiful.frizzle fraggle and rock...any suggestions on how to pair my chickens to have quality chics.got them april10th..been feeding starter grower when and what do I change feed to.? Thanks in advance.

Don't breed them if all 3 are fizzles. You have to have a smooth roo for frizzle hens and smooth hens for a frizzle roo.

Last edited:
Oh are the legs ever feathered he and yes darn it I am afraid since I see little waddle coming in ugh but he looks like he is wearing fringe chaps lol so sweet he is just so adorable but can't have roos here in Claremore ok. I was trying to find a way to show video he is so spazzy I have a fun video. ButI will find new home for him along with his silkie buddy that is a roo also no luck for me so I will be very picky who gets them. I am feeling comfortable picking a place to try my first ordering 15to 20 chicks especially having this forum backing up with any questions. I will try someplace local since Ok seems to have a few places.

I'm in Verdigris! This is our first year raising chickens, we have 7 (4 Cochins from Lee's in Catoosa). We ended up with one roo in our Cochins, but luckily aren't in city limits. I'm on my phone, we'll see if my pics upload.

King Minion (yes, our kids named them, lol)

His Queen Elsa

And our two newest, they are a couple weeks younger.

[/IMG]

That's pretty much my understanding also.  Certain breeds usually call it lavender, and other breeds call it self-blue, but basically the same.  I had a self-blue Slate turkey.  I'm planning to get self-blue OEGB's, but I have lavender orpingtons!  LOL    I have blue cochins, but I think just blue, not self-blue. 

There is a genetic difference between the blue that comes from blue/black/splash genes and lavender genes, but I can't explain it enough to make sense.  Lavenders and self-blues carry 2 copies of the lavender gene.  I know nothing on the Isabell side.

Lol everytime I see your Lav Orps hatch I keep telling myself I need to get some of those!
Yes, you're exactly right- the Blue gene color is totally different than self-blue. The easiest way I can explain it, is that Blue doesn't breed true. It dilutes black to different degrees. For example:
Blue x Blue = 50% blue, 25% black, 25% splash offspring
Blue x Black= 50% blue, 50% black
Blue x splash= 50% blue, 50% splash
Black x splash= 100% blue

Self-blue(Lav) x Self-blue(Lav) = 100% Self-blue (Lav) offspring
If you cross a self blue with a solid bird of a different color- say, a solid black, you get:
Self blue(Lav) x Black= 100% black "split" offspring (split for lavender). Birds carry the lavender gene but appear solid black.

Along with the self blues, I really like the Blue color too. I have BBS Copper Marans, large fowl blue and black Cochins, and my month old bantam BBS mottled Cochins.
1f604.png

Ive been thinking about starting a self-blue mottled bantam cochin project down the road. I haven't seen that combination yet but I bet it would be really pretty!

We usually move our girls over to layer feed at about 16-18 weeks of age. But we've also used an All Flock feed with oyster shell on the side which works just as well :)
All 6 of our coops are insulated
1f604.png
We've got large, medium and small coops and have used a variety of things to insulate! We have 2 coops with regular R-11 rolled insulation, others with foam board, and we have even used rolled up empty feed bags between the studs in smaller areas. Then we covered everything with plywood so they're all double-walled. My husband likes to build thankfully lol so insulating was his idea
1f604.png

Here's one of our small coops:

Th
Thank you! And you're welcome lol. Yes those prefab coops are pretty thin from the ones I've seen anyway. You guys might like the foam board insulation for those- that way when you cover it up you aren't losing a lot of interior space.
One thing we found really useful for tight spaces like that is lauan plywood- you can get it 1/8" thick and it will cover up your insulation without making the coop really heavy to move
smile.png

Ok...so I do believe this is the coop we have settled on
big_smile.png
Planning on adding insulation and a couple more ventilation windows...along with the hardware cloth skirt to keep the unwanted critters out!

My little red cockerel grew up and is so pretty. I posted about my frizzle trio back in March. We named him Billy the Kid because he's so full of attitude, but I love him so much. He's deft hooked me on Bantam Cochins. The white one turned out to be a frazzle and wasn't thriving too well so we had to cull her. Sad day. The black one, we named Lucy, mysteriously passed away about two weeks ago. No idea what was wrong with her. But Billy is going strong and is head bird to all my large fowl laying hens now. He thinks he's in heaven now! HAHA

20170610_135827.jpg

I purchased these lovely ladies this month (NOT to be bred to Billy) and I'm so wowed at the difference between breeder quality chickens and hatchery birds (Billy). They are so nice and super sweet snuggle bugs. They are Mille Fleur/Calico sisters: share the same sire but came from different hens. I'll get much better pics of them once they are outside and out of quarantine.

20170814_130013 (2).jpg
20170814_125956 (2).jpg

As soon as the weather is cooler for shipping I'll be getting a Frizzled Mille Fleur cockerel and some smooth hens from Amy of West Knoll Farms. Can't hardly stand the wait for them!! :barnie I'm looking forward to lots of adorable fluffy butt chicks in my future! :woot

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom