Cochin Bantams and Frizzle Cochin Bantams!!

@Puddin Fluff did you decide on your birds for the fair?
Nope. I blood tested 7 but can only take 5. I am going to see what birds come in on Wednesday night and then I will decide. I want to take some birds that are different colors than what arrives. I am more interested in showing variety than winning. Usually I try to take different breeds but none of my older birds look very good this year and all my young ones are Cochins so I will just go with color variety instead.
big_smile.png

Nope. I blood tested 7 but can only take 5. I am going to see what birds come in on Wednesday night and then I will decide. I want to take some birds that are different colors than what arrives. I am more interested in showing variety than winning. Usually I try to take different breeds but none of my older birds look very good this year and all my young ones are Cochins so I will just go with color variety instead.
big_smile.png

thumbsup.gif
Let us know how it goes!

The chicks that I have lost came from different sources and never went outside prior to death. They were brooder indoors.

Different sources still leads me to believe its something on your end. I seriously don't mean to be rude, or mean. I'm just saying it sounds odd. Maybe something in your brooder? What do you use as bedding? (Cedar chips are bad) Heat issue? Food issue? Water issue? Just throwing out thoughts. How do they die? Just don't thrive, or keel over dead?

This latest bunch has respiratory disease and kept indoors in the bathtub with puppy pads. The group before were poor doers died from neurological symptoms in one chronic eye issues in another also in bathtub but on pine shavings. 2yrs apart

I'd like to figure this out too. The first bunch of chicks I had I used a heat lamp and adjust the Temps each week. This time I used a radiant heat mat. First time it was mid spring this time late summer. Water cleaned daily

Based on the symptoms, it sounds like they came sick. Did you get to inspect the breeder's property/other birds or were they shipped to you? Doesn't sound like anything in your environment would have caused it. I am super picky about where my birds come from as I have seen some pretty awful conditions where "breeders" keep their birds sometimes.

Sorry you are having issues. Hope you get them worked out.

They were shipped to me. Where/who would you recommend to get chicks or hatching eggs from? If I got eggs how many should you get to hope for 5hens?
Really eggs could be same bad luck because mycoplasma can be transferred through egg

They were shipped to me. Where/who would you recommend to get chicks or hatching eggs from? If I got eggs how many should you get to hope for 5hens?
Really eggs could be same bad luck because mycoplasma can be transferred through egg
https://www.facebook.com/luckypickens?fref=pb&hc_location=friends_tab&pnref=friends.all

I don't know if you are on Facebook, Roslyn Pickens has nice birds. She is in Danville, Arkansas. You could make a run over to her place, or she does ship, weather permitting. If you are not on facebook, PM me and I will send you her info.

Back
Top Bottom