Cochin Thread!!!

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Settler'sDreamFarm, Jun 7, 2009.

1. wildwoodcochins

wildwoodcochins Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Just checked out your FB page, LOVE your Shelties~ I used to raise Shelties, I miss them, they are beautiful little dogs~

you want a puppy im shure i make u deal

I wish I could have one~ I have a little Cocker Spaniel that would be very upset with me if I brought home another puppy!

2. Mr. Ree

Mr. Ree Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2007
    South Central, KY
    Quote:sorry but she is not frizzle so she cant have frizzle gene

That statement isnt true. Any bird can carry the frizzle gene. You do not breed two frizzles together. You always breed a frizzle to a smooth, and the smooth bird does not have to carry the frizzle gene to produce frizzled offspring. As long as you breed a smooth bird to a frizzled bird you will get some chicks that are frizzled, wether or not the smooth is carrying the frizzle gene, and some birds that are smooth. Just because a bird is smooth doesnt mean it doesnt carry the frizzle gene, if one of this birds parents was a frizzle then she indeed carries the frizzle gene. A bird doesnt have to be frizzled to be carrying the frizzle gene.

~Casey

Edit: Typo. Heehee

Last edited: Oct 12, 2011
  3. chickendales

chickendales Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2011
    Michigan
    Mr. Ree :

Quote:sorry but she is not frizzle so she cant have frizzle gene

That statement isnt true. Any bird can carry the frizzle gene. You do not breed two frizzles together. You always breed a frizzle to a smooth, and the smooth bird does not have to carry the frizzle gene to produce frizzled offspring. As long as you breed a smooth bird to a frizzled bird you will get some chicks that are frizzled, wether or not the smooth is carrying the frizzle gene, and some birds that are smooth. Just because a bird is smooth doesnt mean it doesnt carry the frizzle gene, if one of this birds parents was a frizzle then she indeed carries the frizzle gene. A bird doesnt have to be frizzled to be carrying the frizzle gene.

~Casey

Edit: Typo. Heehee​

how is this faults she has smooth hen witch with out breeding her to a frizzle can not produce a frizzle

4. Mr. Ree

Feb 7, 2007
    South Central, KY
    Because if this birds parents were a frizzle and a smooth the bird still carries the frizzle gene. It is just recessive and does not show on the bird physicaly, thus the feathers are smooth. To produce good frizzles you need one dominant and one recessive gene to get the ideal frizzled bird, two recessive genes makes a smooth(ff), two dominant makes a "curlie/frazzle"(FF), and one recessive and one dominant give you an ideal frizzle(Ff). This is why in theory when breeding you get 25% frizzles, 25% curlies, and 50% smooth.

~Casey

5. chickendales

chickendales Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2011
    Michigan
    if ff is smooth then it dosent have a frizzle gene it has two non frizzle genes
    other whise if u breed to non frizzles to geather u get frizzle babies witch u dont

6. Funky Feathers

Funky Feathers former Fattie

Jan 15, 2009
    Maryland
    My Coop
    I need to downsize for winter, I have a couple Splash cockerels and some Mille Fleur project birds (started birds, 2-3 months old). I can bring them to the MD State Poultry Fanciers Show 11/5, but would prefer to sell them before then. They are listed in the BST section.

7. Coopa Cabana

Coopa Cabana My Coop Runneth Over . . .

Aug 30, 2009
    Colorado
    My Coop
  8. roosterfoot

roosterfoot Out Of The Brooder

Sep 25, 2010
    Please can someone tell me where I can get large fowl white and barred cochins. I live in central Indiana and have been looking for months and can`t find any. Thank You Chris

9. Black Cochin Bantams

Black Cochin Bantams Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2010
    Iowa
    Mr. Ree :

Because if this birds parents were a frizzle and a smooth the bird still carries the frizzle gene. It is just recessive and does not show on the bird physicaly, thus the feathers are smooth. To produce good frizzles you need one dominant and one recessive gene to get the ideal frizzled bird, two recessive genes makes a smooth(ff), two dominant makes a "curlie/frazzle"(FF), and one recessive and one dominant give you an ideal frizzle(Ff). This is why in theory when breeding you get 25% frizzles, 25% curlies, and 50% smooth.

~Casey

Thank you for explaining it clearly in simple to understand language.
    Craig​

10. Mr. Ree

Feb 7, 2007
    South Central, KY
    Quote:Thank you for explaining it clearly in simple to understand language.
    Craig

Your very welcome Craig. Thank you as well sir.

~Casey

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by