Cochin Thread!!!

Please can someone tell me where I can get large fowl white and barred cochins. I live in central Indiana and have been looking for months and can`t find any. Thank You Chris

Mr. Ree :

Because if this birds parents were a frizzle and a smooth the bird still carries the frizzle gene. It is just recessive and does not show on the bird physicaly, thus the feathers are smooth. To produce good frizzles you need one dominant and one recessive gene to get the ideal frizzled bird, two recessive genes makes a smooth(ff), two dominant makes a "curlie/frazzle"(FF), and one recessive and one dominant give you an ideal frizzle(Ff). This is why in theory when breeding you get 25% frizzles, 25% curlies, and 50% smooth.

~Casey

Thank you for explaining it clearly in simple to understand language.
Craig​

Just thought I would share some pictures.

gold laced Mommy and babies:

60814_chickens_171.jpg

60814_chickens_215.jpg

Red hen:

60814_chickens_189.jpg

Self blue mommy and babies:

60814_chickens_209.jpg

back and self blues:

60814_chickens_212.jpg

self blue and gold laced:

60814_chickens_219.jpg

black hen:

60814_chickens_221.jpg

will post more of the juveniles later, gotta go to work

How common are red cochins? I've seen a few in bantam form, but not sure I've ever seen one in the standard size. This is a color I really like, especially a nice, dark red.

Quote:
I would be willing to part with mine but I don't think that their type is good enough for your project. Not to mention their lacing stinks! I just have them for eye candy though so it doesn't really matter.

Back
Top Bottom