Cochin Thread!!!

There legs have been like this since I got them last week. I'm using a scaly leg spray fro TSC. They have been bathed,dusted, vet Rex from TSC on combs, and wattles the roo in the pic as a wheeze when he crows its supossed to help with that.

The "horn" is his spur the other spur looks as if had been broken. i had to separate the boys from the girls they had been allowed to breed the girls until the girls were tore up. i split them right away to give the girls a chance to recover. Reguardless of your intentions for your chickens be it show, eggs or meat I believe they should be taken care of. this was more of a rescue than a purchase for me. i know it will take a lil time to get them back into shape but I'm felling better about their situation the girls are showing fuzz now where they was only skin a week ago. they have also started laying which i'm taking as a sign they are comfy and happy with their new home.
On some cases the roo just likes his job Herbert our EE roo breeds average 25-30 times a day no joke and every egg is fertilized even the hen who is in isolation away from the flock still don't know how he does it

On some cases the roo just likes his job Herbert our EE roo breeds average 25-30 times a day no joke and every egg is fertilized even the hen who is in isolation away from the flock still don't know how he does it

LOL these are my first cochin bantams I got 2 pair which I know isn't a good ratio of hens to Roos so I'm in the market for more hens of course. I want to start a frizzle project with my daughter she loves the lil curly feathers she says they match her hair. Lol. The two poor lil hens I got were just tore up I had to split them up i couldn't stand them looking so rough.
Any options on hen saddles for these Cochins been checking them out does anyone use them and do they help??

Quote:
I made some for my hens last year and I was surprised by how well they worked. 3 of my cochin hens had completely bare backs, but after a month with the saddle, lots of new feathers had grown in. I would definitely give them a try.
do you take them off now and then or just leave them?

Hi all, We recently took on two fully feathered blue Cochin bantams. Based on differences between wattles and combs, I believe we have one of each gender. Anyone want to help a newbie out with some educated guesses?

Hi all, We recently took on two fully feathered blue Cochin bantams. Based on differences between wattles and combs, I believe we have one of each gender. Anyone want to help a newbie out with some educated guesses?

First off, they are not pure Cochins, they have rose combs rather than single so that is a dead give away that they are mixed. Possibly Brahma/Cochin mix. This will make for a very nice dispositioned bird, so as long as you just want pets, I'll bet you've got a couple of very sweet girls.
Actually after I looked at them again, the combs are two different kinds, not sure what, but they are both hens. :)

Last edited:
They both look like Wyandotte or Wyandotte mixes and if they are as young as I think they are, they look to both be cockerels.

The one on the left has muffs. Those are some interesting looking birds, I'll give you that.

Last edited:

Here's a full pic of the one that was originally on the left in the close up. Granted, they were purchased from a pretty overcrowded, hobbled together backyard establishment, so I did expect to hear of mixed breeding at some point. They're very friendly but I already have a rooster so these cuties might have to go. They're too small to hold their own around my big easter egger. What makes you think roo here?

Back
Top Bottom