Cochin Thread!!!

I had never had access to the fine bedding until a few years ago when I got some at the newest Farm Fleet type store that opened. It is called mini flake. Horse people use it in stalls is what I was told.

The good:

It absorbs MUCH better, easier to clean up (it will sweep , scoop, or vacuum up), last longer than the chip type I used to use, composts faster

The bad:

It is lighter so I put my feeders and waterers higher(on blocks) or they get it in them, If I turn on a fan it can blow around in a pen unlike the chip/flake bedding,When one of my automatic waterers leaked this stuff absorbed like a sponge making clean up quite heavy

Overall thought on it is the good outweighs the bad in my situation.

If you ever get the space I would love to have more people raising Silver Penciled. An uncommon variety worthy of consideration. I enjoy mine.

Is this the kind you get in pellets and then you wet before using?

So, I just got my first cochins a couple weeks ago. Their a bantam pair, one is either black or dark blue, and the rooster I'm not sure of his colors. Thought I'd share some pictures and see what you guys think of them, since I know little to nothing about the breed. I got them from a local breeder and have no clue if their quality or not.

I don't have any pictures of the hen other than the top pictures. She looks kind of rough because of my LF roo that I had to separate. I think that he is maybe a lemon blue? Because of the gold leakage... but I'm not sure. Owning these two for the short amount of time has me kind of hooked, I want more. xD

Gail is getting eggs now and will start to hatch this years GL soon!!:weee :fl After everything she has gone through this year I can only wish her the best!
thumbsup.gif
Yaaaahooooo.............go Gail!
She is making such good progress from what I saw at cochins international forum. Can't wait to see the new hatches!

So, I just got my first cochins a couple weeks ago. Their a bantam pair, one is either black or dark blue, and the rooster I'm not sure of his colors. Thought I'd share some pictures and see what you guys think of them, since I know little to nothing about the breed. I got them from a local breeder and have no clue if their quality or not.

I don't have any pictures of the hen other than the top pictures. She looks kind of rough because of my LF roo that I had to separate. I think that he is maybe a lemon blue? Because of the gold leakage... but I'm not sure. Owning these two for the short amount of time has me kind of hooked, I want more. xD
i'd say the roo looks blue, and has either some sort of color leakage or he's bleached out from the sun. but on closer look of the pics, looks like he's got red in the wings, not dark blue... so don't know.

my blue mottled roo has bleached out from the sun and has some brassy looking feathers on his neck/wings/back, but hasn't moulted since I got him this spring and was nice and blue at the time. (and I trust the breeder too)

Last edited:

Looks like he could be from a Lemon Blue project. Type is pleasant for a non-show bird. He's a pretty boy, but not a recognized color.

Hi Im new to cotchens I just took in 6 chicks there supposed to be giant cochen? My question is I only want to keep 2 or 3 how much should I sale the other ones for? Allso there beautiful chicks what is there temperment egg production?

Hi Im new to cotchens I just took in 6 chicks there supposed to be giant cochen? My question is I only want to keep 2 or 3 how much should I sale the other ones for? Allso there beautiful chicks what is there temperment egg production?
I would wait on selling off the extras. hang onto them until you can see what they end up being - roos or hens. extra roos you might get $5-10, pullets maybe a bit more. if I can't sell my extra roos, they go in the freezer.

I have a Cochin temperament question.My assorted roo chicks are moved into the sun room where crowing won't bother the neighbors. Because of being in solitary they get no social time.I feed and that is it. Most of the roos run to the back and wait for me to leave a couple are actually mean. All but one, the white Cochin,he runs up to me says hi and loves it if I pet him.He never jumps or pecks at me and even gets in the way alot.Yesterday he perched on my arm while I was trying to place the feeder.He is actually nicer then my "pet" polish hen.Are Cochin known for being this naturally friendly or is he exceptionally social?

I have a Cochin temperament question.My assorted roo chicks are moved into the sun room where crowing won't bother the neighbors. Because of being in solitary they get no social time.I feed and that is it. Most of the roos run to the back and wait for me to leave a couple are actually mean. All but one, the white Cochin,he runs up to me says hi and loves it if I pet him.He never jumps or pecks at me and even gets in the way alot.Yesterday he perched on my arm while I was trying to place the feeder.He is actually nicer then my "pet" polish hen.Are Cochin known for being this naturally friendly or is he exceptionally social?

They are very friendly chickens. Silkies and Cochins are well known for being children friendly breeds.

Back
Top Bottom