Cochin Thread!!!

09C6C4A7-21A3-41F0-A1CA-E6DCE5C8B736.jpeg

some bantam Cochin cuteness! Hatched 26 cuties this weekend.

We found some beautiful lavender LF cochins as day-old straight run chicks earlier this year. We lucked out and got a pair! The pullet is SO tame and follows us all over wanting to be picked up. The cockerel is calm and friendly, but not overly so. :) Once 4-H starts back up again, I think they'll make great project chickens for my daughter. :love

IMG_5856 (2).JPG

We also have two LF partridge hens, two LF barred hens, and a ton of bantam cochins in assorted colors, both frizzled and not. :) I just brought home 6 more bantam chicks with severe pasty butt (they're fine now), and along with the two little reds, I think I got two gold laced and two calico or mille fleur. One of the reds is frizzled. :) Cochins are my favorite chickens. :love

We found some beautiful lavender LF cochins as day-old straight run chicks earlier this year. We lucked out and got a pair! The pullet is SO tame and follows us all over wanting to be picked up. The cockerel is calm and friendly, but not overly so. :) Once 4-H starts back up again, I think they'll make great project chickens for my daughter. :love

View attachment 2179577

We also have two LF partridge hens, two LF barred hens, and a ton of bantam cochins in assorted colors, both frizzled and not. :) I just brought home 6 more bantam chicks with severe pasty butt (they're fine now), and along with the two little reds, I think I got two gold laced and two calico or mille fleur. One of the reds is frizzled. :) Cochins are my favorite chickens. :love
Beautiful birds!!

Hi all! New to bantams and cochins. Unexpectedly brought home 6 + 1 bantams a few weeks ago without a clue what I got. Started a thread but wish I'd started it here for more feedback now that they're older. Grateful for those that responded initially to help me sort out the most probable varieties. I know I definitely have 6 cochin bantams and 1 RIR. Out of the cochins, fairly certain I have 2 Silver Penciled roos, 1 black pullet and 1 barred pullet. But on the fence if the birchen is a roo. And though I've been told here and elsewhere that my mottled isn't mottled, I still suspect s/he is. Not certain on gender with that one either. I try to document photos each time they reach another week milestone. Sorry for my ramblings throughout thread.... hoping it's helpful for someone down the line. My one daughter keeps asking if anyone has responded but my thread isn't really in the right place. Anyway, here's the thread. Would love any input on gender as well as what my suspected mottled is based on all of your experiences :)

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/bantam-identification.1379968/

Last edited:
One of my pullets doesn’t seem to have any birchen markings on her, she’s just black, and another barely has any on her... guessing this is normal for hatchery birds? The others seem to have a decent amount and the cockerel is gorgeous IMO :love but it just kinda sucks this girl doesn’t have the marking. 😭 she’s still young though so maybe they will grow in?

A51DDB7E-4347-47E8-9391-04C0C21256A4.jpeg

One of my pullets doesn’t seem to have any birchen markings on her, she’s just black, and another barely has any on her... guessing this is normal for hatchery birds? The others seem to have a decent amount and the cockerel is gorgeous IMO :love but it just kinda sucks this girl doesn’t have the marking. 😭 she’s still young though so maybe they will grow in?

View attachment 2199082
She's cute! Sorry Dog, but she's black.

Hi all! New to bantams and cochins. Unexpectedly brought home 6 + 1 bantams a few weeks ago without a clue what I got. Started a thread but wish I'd started it here for more feedback now that they're older. Grateful for those that responded initially to help me sort out the most probable varieties. I know I definitely have 6 cochin bantams and 1 RIR. Out of the cochins, fairly certain I have 2 Silver Penciled roos, 1 black pullet and 1 barred pullet. But on the fence if the birchen is a roo. And though I've been told here and elsewhere that my mottled isn't mottled, I still suspect s/he is. Not certain on gender with that one either. I try to document photos each time they reach another week milestone. Sorry for my ramblings throughout thread.... hoping it's helpful for someone down the line. My one daughter keeps asking if anyone has responded but my thread isn't really in the right place. Anyway, here's the thread. Would love any input on gender as well as what my suspected mottled is based on all of your experiences :)

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/bantam-identification.1379968/
Just to simplify things so we don't get confused (so many great pics!) can you put one good picture of each chick into one post on your thread? I'll at least take a look at gender. 😁

View attachment 2199082
She's adorable regardless! What a little fluffer! Never planned on getting cochins or bantams and now have Cochin bantams and am so excited to see them feather out. How these were never on my radar before is so sad...I was truly missing out!

Back
Top Bottom