Cochin Thread!!!

I love bantam Cochins!

I have a bantam POL red hen and just hatched 4 blue and black mottled chicks. I love how fluffy the chicks are!

Here is a picture of "Hen" my red bantam hen:
cochred102209.jpg

Quote:
Thanks!
big_smile.png

She is a bird directly from Karl Rau (I am assuming you're referring to the blue mottled hen?) I love her. But yes, all of my birds are AI'd, and I believe she is laying. once I get my last order for fall out next week I'm going to stick a load of eggs in the 'bator.

I don't have any hens like him right now. He is the product of a splash rooster and a buff hen. I hatched two of them exactly alike from that pair. I have a buff rooster and splash hen right now, so I may cross them in the spring to see if it happens again.

Here are pictures of mine. I wish I could have more especially seeing all the beauties in the pictures everyone has posted.

Mr. Gray

36329_img_9116.jpg

Puff

36329_img_9086.jpg

Buffy

36329_img_9088.jpg

Lucy (our freeloader who isn't laying yet even thought her sisters are)

36329_img_9125.jpg

Lucy looks just like our little bantam cochin we lost, her name was Lexi. All our chickens free range around the farm, Lexi just didn't come back one day.
hit.gif
We really miss her.

I talked with the wife and she is also interested in getting some cochins in the spring. I've somewhat narrowed it down based on what we can get. I really want Partridge Cochins and Buff Cochins. The wife is also interested in the Blue and/or Black Cochins. Right now we are thinking of getting them from here: http://www.welphatchery.com/index.asp They have them listed under rare breeds.

Before I buy any, I had a couple of Cochin questions:

One hatchery lists Cochins as "Standard", the other lists them as "Giant". Is there a difference between them?
---The "Giant" Cochin says 7 lbs. I couldn't find a weight on the "Standard", both hatcheries also have Bantams.

Do Blue Cochins have black heads and back, or are Blue Cochins all Blue?
--- http://www.welphatchery.com/rare/cochin_giant_blue.asp <-- The rooster in this pic looks blue/black

Does anyone have a complete list of all the variety's of Cochins available?
---I'm more interested in full-size variety's than Bantams.

Thanks,
Jon

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom