Cochin Thread!!!

Quote:
...and where might one find a list of breeders here in the Pacific NW?

big_smile.png
Thank you
big_smile.png

Here's the Breeders' Lists for BYC members:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=246596

You can also try the Cochins International website:
http://cochinsinternational.cochinsrule.com/

Last edited:
Given that they grow slooowly, I'm not sure if they would make the best meat bird; though, it would help with free ranging them, which would be good (their slow growth)... Hummm... We plan on using them for brooding small cluches of Delaware eggs (main flock). That is their pretty much sole purpose in having them. Delaware eggs are quite large. We are aiming/guessing we will want cluches of about 15 eggs; hoping that atleast 12 hatch out... If a bantam Cochin can easily do this, then maybe, just maybe, I might consider the bantam variety as an option... Though; I am much more partial to the standard/large sized.

Hummm...

Coop Cabana; thank you for the links... unfortunately the data mostly seems to be waaay outdated ;-( Or not viable to me here in the Pacific NW ;-(

Last edited:
Quote:
OOOH do tell! I just live in Stillwater and love my 1 Cochin. Would like to have some more. Where exactly is it, when, etc etc? I would love to go and to meet another frickin chickin nut would be awesome!
big_smile.png

Dec. 11th-12th
The Heart of Oklahoma Exposition Center
1700 W. Independence
Shawnee
Located off of Highway 177 and Independence Street
PM me with your # and we will meet. There are alot of people from the Okies in the BYC that will meet there and have lunch.
I just sent you a PM

lol.png
YGM!

I finally got my first rooster!! We just moved to where we could have roosters! Of course I wanted a COCHIN!!
So we found a trio, 1 rooster and 2 female cochins, to me, the rooster is HUGE, probably because my little cochin hens are so small still.
I would like some input on my roosters color... I was told I was getting a "blue trio". I know one of the hens is black, the other has dark blue but mainly black, but the rooster who is the funniest thing I have ever seen, is blue and black laced, (in the pick he looks white on the bottom, but it's defiantly blue)I don't know if I am saying it right, I already am in love w/ the rooster, he acts so tough and is so funny to watch around the other hens through the fence. We have a splash and "black/mottled" cochin hen now, we'd like to have at least the 2 hens that came w/ the rooster and my splash together.
So tell me what color the rooster looks like and hen if you can see them...

57870_the_beast.jpg

Last edited:
Mr. Ree :

I would contact Sheryl Butler. She has amazing birds in Frizzle and Smooth and she lives in Bothell. PM and I will give you her email address.

~Casey

PM inbound; thanks a mil
smile.png

Quote:
Here's what I got from a Mille Fleur (Cochin) X White (Silkie)
She's lost alot of the black on her body as she's grown in new feathers, but is only about 3 1/2 months old now, so not sure what she'll look like when fully grown.
I think the calculator called my cross black patterned gold incomplete columbian in pullets.

52396_dsc01523.jpg

I may end up having my hand forced to purchase my Cochins via a hatchery this early Spring. Really not wanting 25; but maybe I can find some locals here to split the order with me... That being said; does anyone have any Hatchery recommendations specifically for standard (LF) Cochins???
hu.gif

Back
Top Bottom