Cochin Thread!!!

67456_pb280152.jpg

Here's my Blue Cochin! I also have one with a much more silver head that I will need to get a picture of, I love the shapiness of the Cochins, but I am new to them. I confess, we have not had any eggs...am I too soon in my expectations? We purchased her 12 weeks ago, breeder said she was about 3 or 4 months at the time.

Quote:
I am so sorry. I can't imagine loosing all of them at once!
Three years ago our neighbor (and chicken mentor) lost 46 Australorps when 3 dogs (Labradors!) got in his pen. The few remaining hens were too tramatized to ever lay again. My neighbor has flocks in several different breeds but has never had Australorps since.

Quote:
I raised most of my cochins from chicks. My first one to lay was about 8 months old!

Thanks, that gives me some perspective..how old do you think my girl is?

Ok maybe a really stupid question here, but just curious...if the lavender could ever be made like the lemon blue, the hens with golden-red necks and the roos with gold... but lavender bodies ?
I realize the lemon blue is of the red-brown, and the lav from a dilute of black, so can it be done ?
I am still trying to figure it out.
One color at a time
tongue.png

Quote:
Honestly, our cochin rooster doesn't crow that much and half the time the neighbor's gold comet and RIR roos get him going.

If you were to get a cochin roo without any other nearby roosters, he might be pretty quiet
hide.gif
wink.png

my oldest Roo, 8 mo. crows quite a bit but he isn't as loud as my neighbor's Marans. My 8 week old Mottled cockrel still has a little squeeky/scratchy crow but he practices alot, even after dark - he is new to the rooster buisness. So cute!

Quote:
I raised most of my cochins from chicks. My first one to lay was about 8 months old!

Thanks, that gives me some perspective..how old do you think my girl is?

I would say you are right. She is around 7 months, give or take a little. She looks like she should start laying soon. If yours are like mine, they won't lay that great through the winter, which makes me want to say she may wait until spring since she hasn't started yet.

Back
Top Bottom