Cochin Thread!!!

Ok, What do you look for in a "show bird" ? I am just on for a second but will be back!! lol
thumbsup.gif
I have blue, black, and white bantam cochins. I am not a breeder, just a at home Mom with chickens in the yard. Smile. Though I did hatch 30 some odd chicks . . . . . . Ugh! I just wanted to know the basics of a GOOD LOOKEN BIRD.

Too many to mention individually, but so many beautiful Buff Barred!! Keep up the good work everyone! I think they will be a welcome addition to the showhalls.

Ok, What do you look for in a "show bird" ? I am just on for a second but will be back!! lol
thumbsup.gif
I have blue, black, and white bantam cochins. I am not a breeder, just a at home Mom with chickens in the yard. Smile. Though I did hatch 30 some odd chicks . . . . . . Ugh! I just wanted to know the basics of a GOOD LOOKEN BIRD.
TYPE The bird should look like a ball with a tail and head. Wide and under 2 lbs on Bantam. No white feathers on a black or blue and no white feathers on a Black or blue. Reddish eye color. Yellow feet. When in doubt post a picture and ASK for honest feedback. Go to a show and see what we actually exhibit.

I'm interested in visiting some shows to learn more about these beautiful birds. Can you tell me where to find a listing of show dates and places?
Thanks!
well, carroll co fair will have poultry but i don't know any details about who or what will be there... if i have anyone worthy i might bring a few.

and the vpba (virginia poultry breeders association) show is in november i think, on the eastern shore possibly.

then there's the show they were talking about a few posts up in OH. that one's about 5 hours away or so, if i remember.

maybe we can carpool if you want to go for the day somewhere not too far... easier on the gas bill for sure. 8)

ps. how's millie & the keets doing?

Last edited:
well, carroll co fair will have poultry but i don't know any details about who or what will be there... if i have anyone worthy i might bring a few.

and the vpba (virginia poultry breeders association) show is in november i think, on the eastern shore possibly.

then there's the show they were talking about a few posts up in OH. that one's about 5 hours away or so, if i remember.

maybe we can carpool if you want to go for the day somewhere not too far... easier on the gas bill for sure. 8)

ps. how's millie & the keets doing?

That would be fun! I'm sure we could get into some great trouble together - LOL!

Millie is the best thing that's ever happened to K! Not sure if you got a chance to read my blog post (Here) but Millie is still bringing out the best in K each day. She's going to be the most spoiled chicken in the history of chickens - LOL. K takes her everywhere. Millie has been out in the grass a couple times now, but she stays close to her "mommy."

I can't tell if I'm more in love with Millie, or in love with the effect Millie is having on the atmosphere in our home. Those little feathery feet are so cute... and that cushion-butt!
love.gif

The keets are doing great too. Getting noisy. Ironically I think we may have 2 boys and 2 girls, judging by the noises. Seems to be one female and one male of each color... that worked out nicely
woot.gif

It's too early to tell for sure, but two have 2 different sounds and are more high-strung. We'll see. All of them are as healthy as can be.

Back
Top Bottom