Eggsandbeyond

Songster
Apr 13, 2023
I scoop the poop out of the coop every morning and noticed this one with blood tinged mucus in it. I have a younger flock on medicated feed and they will steal theirs sometimes. Should I treat with corid? Is it safe if they're eating medicated food? Do I need to toss their eggs while on the meds? Can they get cocicidia even while having medicated feed?

Or any chance this could be semi normal and just keep an eye on it?

Attachments

• 20231203_095626.jpg
    20231203_095626.jpg
    538 KB · Views: 58
  • 20231203_095623.jpg
    20231203_095623.jpg
    781.1 KB · Views: 6
If I saw more poop with that I would start Corid at 2 tsp of the liquid per gallon for 5 days. Yes, they can get coccidiosis and you can give Corid while they eat medicated feed.

I scoop the poop out of the coop every morning and noticed this one with blood tinged mucus in it. I have a younger flock on medicated feed and they will steal theirs sometimes. Should I treat with corid? Is it safe if they're eating medicated food? Do I need to toss their eggs while on the meds? Can they get cocicidia even while having medicated feed?

Or any chance this could be semi normal and just keep an eye on it?
That looks more like intestinal shedding to me. With coccidia you will see more blood. Before treatment with corrid I would wait and see another day.

If I saw more poop with that I would start Corid at 2 tsp of the liquid per gallon for 5 days. Yes, they can get coccidiosis and you can give Corid while they eat medicated feed.
Thank you. This is all i saw the rest are normal, some a bit runnier but they've been having Oatmeal once a week which I attritube that to. I'll keep an eye out if I see more I will start it to be safe.

Agreed.

Intestinal shedding can be just a natural sloughing of the intestines, but if chronic, it can also indicate something else going on like Coccidiosis, Worms, infection, etc.

Since this is the 3rd thread in a week that you've expressed concern over poop you have found, then it may be wise to either treat your chicks or to collect a sampling of poop and take it to your vet for a fecal float - this test will tell you if worms or Coccidia are the problem.

Back
Top Bottom