Cockerel aggression - what are my chances?

Above all ... remember having chickens is supposed to be FUN!!!!! Without a doubt, it's a lot of work... but it's supposed to be enjoyable and relaxing.
That's it - the pullets are so friendly and easy to look after. It's enjoyable. The cockerel is like that Simpsons episode where Homer gets that lobster he named Pinchy.

I ended up with three cockerels when I got three straight run BOs. I had to cull two of them at four months because they were aggressive to me and to the pullets. When I realized the girls weren't coming out of the coop, and were staying on the roost all day, I knew the two had to go. I had to do the deed myself, as my husband made it plain from the beginning he would not have any part of killing any birds.

The afternoon after I culled them, the pullets came out in to the run and I had peace in my flock once again.

Were I in your shoes, I would return him. Wish I could have done that! I can't offer any advice about taking a pullet in exchange; perhaps ask if you can have credit toward chicks in the spring? Or buy a second one so they have company as "the new ones," as has been suggested?

In any case, I would get rid of him. He is a danger to you, other people who might interact with him, and your pullets.

That's a good point actually - thanks for bringing it up.
The other birds don't live super far away but definitely a wilder and differently. I was worried about different parasites but immunity is definitely something to consider.

I'd be getting my hen's sister but I doubt they'd remember each other so that wouldn't really matter.

-----------

I've been reading BantyChooks' article "A Viewpoint on Managing Roosters" and wondering what I could do and where I went wrong. But he takes up a huge chunk of the time I have for chickens.

Above all ... remember having chickens is supposed to be FUN!!!!! Without a doubt, it's a lot of work... but it's supposed to be enjoyable and relaxing.

They do what they do! When we let our birds out to free range, whatever time it is, there's a lot of mating, and attempted mating. Then right at dusk, when everyone is coming in to roost, much the same things are going on.
I don't keep any cockerels who behave badly!
Mary

I don't keep any cockerels who behave badly!
Mary
That is very reasonable and decisive!

I've sent a message to the place this guy came from. Waiting to hear back.
I've been finding in the meantime he often behaves far worse in the evening starting around 6:30 pm or so. Like an overtired child acting out. And trying to bite me. 🙄

There are cockerels and adult roosters who spend their time paying attention to their flockmates, and watching out for predators, and that's what should be happening.
Then there are idiots who would rather spend time stalking and attacking the giants who bring food every day, and that's just not what they should be doing. This behavior is both (mostly) genetic, and then somewhat a management issue, often not fixable.
The fighting bird people selected for extreme intraspecies aggression (cock fighting!) and no human aggression, and so that's how those birds mostly behave. Genetics!
Some breeds of chickens tend to have a higher % of human aggressive roosters than others, but it's still up to the individual cockerel; there are no doubt very sweet hatchery RIR roosters, and horrible Favorelles, but the trend is opposite. Nice Favorelles, for example, and nasty RIRs.
Parentage matters! Selecting for the temperament desired in breeding stock shows in offspring, not 100%, but it does show.
Mary

A really late and short post for continuity-sake -- the cockerel, code-name: Vulture, was returned to where he came from. I haven't asked what became of him, apparently people weren't even taking them for free at the time. But! The farmer was surprised at how his looks etc. turned out, probably a full Orpington after all.

I'm so glad your flock and the rest of your household are now at peace. Growing up with mature males can help - and having mature hens to give them a good thumping help develop manners.

My first rooster was added to the mature hens coop when he just wouldn't leave his same age pullets (who were not ready for his advances) alone. Within minutes the big girls put him in corner and there he stayed ... and hid in the nest boxes for a few days. He turned out just fine. Same thing with his successor- the ladies put him in his place and he stuffed himself into a nest box.

1607061126592.png

There's what I call "the kid stuff" as they figure out their roles - the hens will run from them - their early mating attempts will be sloppy, prompting loud protests from the hens. That's par for the course and passes pretty quickly.

BUT... some roosters - just aren't nice. I recently did away with one of my youngest cockerels. After a few days of what seemed like an uptick in skirmishes, finally I caught him in the act, forcing hens to fight with him, jumps, kicking, the whole terrible deal. Worse still, when they'd turn to run away- he ran after and ripped out a chunk of feathers from their backs. He did this to 5 hens in 10-15 minutes. He was "gone" 5 minutes later when I caught up wit him. Whatever switch in his brain that prompted him to do that - is not something I will tolerate, and not something to pass along!

Back
Top Bottom