Cockerel aggression - what are my chances?

I ended up with three cockerels when I got three straight run BOs. I had to cull two of them at four months because they were aggressive to me and to the pullets. When I realized the girls weren't coming out of the coop, and were staying on the roost all day, I knew the two had to go. I had to do the deed myself, as my husband made it plain from the beginning he would not have any part of killing any birds.

The afternoon after I culled them, the pullets came out in to the run and I had peace in my flock once again.

Were I in your shoes, I would return him. Wish I could have done that! I can't offer any advice about taking a pullet in exchange; perhaps ask if you can have credit toward chicks in the spring? Or buy a second one so they have company as "the new ones," as has been suggested?

In any case, I would get rid of him. He is a danger to you, other people who might interact with him, and your pullets.

I sympathize. I'm bracing myself for the day it may come to that for some reason.

I probably could do either - I was offered a second one of a breed I wasn't super interested in at the time but maybe she could be a buddy! Or just deal with what I have... but the brown one is so beautiful I'd hate to miss out on getting her sister if possible. And a maran wouldn't be the end of the world lol!

Here's the pic I was going to add. I found these feathers in a tighter clump in a shadowy spot the other day.

Screenshot_20200926-224437_Gallery.jpg

I counted about 8 feathers! Some had blood in them.

At first I thought something grabbed the cockerel since he's loose (it's not like he'll leave the yard with the pullets here, but if the situation were reversed I'm afraid they'd wander off) but he looks normal. But one of pullets is a bit of an escape artist and got away recently. I was looking at her and I would guess the cockerel got ahold of her (right):

Screenshot_2020-09-26-22-46-21_1.jpg

(Don't mind my construction mess.)

Back
Top Bottom