Cockerel?

WallyBirdie

Crowing
Aug 2, 2019
I've gotten better at sexing birds since I've joined this site. It's fun to look at a picture and be able to just know and help!
And yet I have one or two of my own birds that keep me guessing.

This is Pumpkin.
20190901_151845.jpg

Pumpkin came as a surprise because I ordered two and three of a few different breeds, and this one accidentally got mixed in.
I think it's a Wyandotte. 4 months old. And all that red has me thinking cockerel. I'm not great at distinguishing saddle feathers. But my other Wyandotte is the same age, significantly larger with much bigger comb and wattles. So, is Pumpkin a smaller and more docile cockerel?

Last edited:
Thank you. That really puts me at ease. Do you have any tips for sexing a welsummer or sapphire gem?

Sorry, I’m not the one you’re asking. Welsummer are an autosexing breed but chicks tend to be difficult to sex. By 3 weeks old chest feathers should be coming in, pullets have salmon coloured feathers, cockerels black.

168445CC-6021-483A-A020-358895550B93.jpeg

You can just see the cockerel’s black chest feathers coming in. The bird next to him is a pullet.

Sapphire Gems I have no idea as I’ve never heard of them before.

Sorry, I’m not the one you’re asking. Welsummer are an autosexing breed but chicks tend to be difficult to sex. By 3 weeks old chest feathers should be coming in, pullets have salmon coloured feathers, cockerels black.

View attachment 1895146

You can just see the cockerel’s black chest feathers coming in. The bird next to him is a pullet.

Sapphire Gems I have no idea as I’ve never heard of them before.
I'll take any help I can get! These are my first welsummer chickens.
As for Sapphire gems- I might not have the name/breed correct because some of the birds I have were mislabeled or mixed in with my order by mistake! I'll look through my pictures and see if I have any good ones. If not, I'll take some soon.

Back
Top Bottom