Coffee grounds bedding for chicks

jher77

Songster
Nov 19, 2020
The farm store has now resorted to using coffee grounds as bedding instead of the normal flaked pine shavings. I don't know if the coffee grounds are used or not but boy do they smell awful. I had to hurry up and get out of there. I couldn't stand the smell and it was strong. You know it has to smell bad to the chicks. Not only that, the coffee grounds made its way into every waterer and it looked like they were drinking coffee instead of water. What is the reasoning behind this?

The farm store has now resorted to using coffee grounds as bedding instead of the normal flaked pine shavings. I don't know if the coffee grounds are used or not but boy do they smell awful. I had to hurry up and get out of there. I couldn't stand the smell and it was strong. You know it has to smell bad to the chicks. Not only that, the coffee grounds made its way into every waterer and it looked like they were drinking coffee instead of water. What is the reasoning behind this?
I saw that at rural king and 3 of my chicks got respitory issues from it and passed 🙄 they smell hoorible too and it’s very annoying. I don’t kniw why either 🤣

You'll find mixed reviews on coffee grounds for chicken bedding. Some people use it knowing the methylxanthines in coffee are toxic to chickens and a lot of other pets, as well. They say they have never seen their chicken try to eat it. That's like saying your pit bull has never bitten anyone. Until the pit bull bites someone.

Very recently, in the Emergencies forum, we had a frantic person with a small chick who had eaten the coffee grounds bedding. We tried everything we could think of to help them save this chick, but the chick died.

It's not possible to know if the chick died of toxic poisoning or simply constipation from the grounds clogging its intestines. But this is a real life anecdote documenting a very sad experience with using coffee grounds as chick brooder bedding.

Since we know the caffeine in coffee grounds is toxic and we know that baby chicks will try to eat anything, it's best to avoid coffee grounds for baby chick bedding.

As far as using it in the coop for adult chickens, personally, I would stay away from it. The risk isn't worth it.

As for the store using it in the chick tanks, store employees can be among the most ignorant of people when it comes to chick care and chicken knowledge. I certainly would not model my chicken care after a feed store's chicken care policies.

You'll find mixed reviews on coffee grounds for chicken bedding. Some people use it knowing the methylxanthines in coffee are toxic to chickens and a lot of other pets, as well. They say they have never seen their chicken try to eat it. That's like saying your pit bull has never bitten anyone. Until the pit bull bites someone.

Very recently, in the Emergencies forum, we had a frantic person with a small chick who had eaten the coffee grounds bedding. We tried everything we could think of to help them save this chick, but the chick died.

It's not possible to know if the chick died of toxic poisoning or simply constipation from the grounds clogging its intestines. But this is a real life anecdote documenting a very sad experience with using coffee grounds as chick brooder bedding.

Since we know the caffeine in coffee grounds is toxic and we know that baby chicks will try to eat anything, it's best to avoid coffee grounds for baby chick bedding.

As far as using it in the coop for adult chickens, personally, I would stay away from it. The risk isn't worth it.

As for the store using it in the chick tanks, store employees can be among the most ignorant of people when it comes to chick care and chicken knowledge. I certainly would not model my chicken care after a feed store's chicken care policies.
I read that thread and it was heartbreaking. I wouldn't use it for chicks-they're like little kids and puppies, they pit everything in their mouths

That’s why I’m going to work at rural kindg, it’s almost an hour from my house and they treat younger like garbage (one of the nice workers told me I think his name was Conner or something) but the chicks are too taken care of so I want to do that. It’s gonna be a lot of gas money but it is what it is

Yes. It was Rural King. I'm guessing it will be like Tractor Supplys new brooders....short lived. Anyone with a nose on their face should have known better to do that. I don't necessarily blame the employees since they have to do what the boss says.

I was that frantic person. My baby definitely ingested it and died.
It works fine for the adults on the poop boards where they don't eat, but the babies eat where they poop.

Daaang, i just bought some yesterday. SO glad I stumbled upon this post. Know what, I'm gonna put that isht in my compost pile. 👍

That’s why I’m going to work at rural kindg, it’s almost an hour from my house and they treat younger like garbage (one of the nice workers told me I think his name was Conner or something) but the chicks are too taken care of so I want to do that. It’s gonna be a lot of gas money but it is what it is
So did ya?

Back
Top Bottom