Coffee's ready...

Sourland, I just noticed that your customized description reads broody magician. You wouldn't happen to have any tricks for breaking a suspected beginning of broodiness? I would like to get a little more than 19 eggs out of Veera before she starts hatching baby golf balls. She's been staying on her egg after laying it. I removed the motivational golf balls from the nests yesterday, today she was going in and out of the nests for hours before finally settling into one to lay. After half an hour I shooed her off the nest, and she left behind a freshly laid egg.

Morning People,
I never fed fish or meat to our chickens, but I have found remains in their coop and run. Good discussion about it though. My fish remains go into the compost heap (buried).

RngrBill: How do you prepare the carp? Did you spear/bow or hook them? We have a pile of them in the Hudson. Personally the only thing I would eat out of the Hudson are the migratory fish.

Out of 3 quarts of pickles, all 3 we eaten. I have to make more. Does anyone know if I can use what I believe to be mothers apple vinegar or does it have to be filtered and pasteurized?

Hopeful today is the last of the rain for a bit. We had our first tomatoes last weekend.

Enjoy your day

Kaj

Hudson River better than Housatonic. This one I was given by someone who over caught and couldn't handle the weight so I took the smallest. Hooked on red worms.
Pickles? Your great-grandmother didn't filter and pasteurize her Cider Vinegar.

Bless and enjoy all.

Oh no, I make it perfectly clear that I'm messing with them. "Why of course Honorable Sir, I apologize for standing still in your path, how inconsiderate of me. What was I thinking? You might have tripped and twisted your ankle!"
Just saw a bumper sticker: "I'm sorry for driving so close in front of you!" Hmmmm Interesting. My response is to try to associate with what set them off Like an A=h@*& in front of me and apologize for them. Then it seems they can't do enough for me!!

Oh no, I make it perfectly clear that I'm messing with them. "Why of course Honorable Sir, I apologize for standing still in your path, how inconsiderate of me. What was I thinking? You might have tripped and twisted your ankle!"

Now , now. this reminds me of my mail man days. One lady had a long yard and didn't want anyone crossing her lawn. So you had to walk down the neighboring yard and then back up to her house, and then back down her yard and then up the next as the houses were set back from the road. She had all these lawn ornaments in her year. Lots more than the average person mind you. Whurley Gigs galore.

Any how she caught the new guy and told him not so nicely to not cross her lawn! He responded, " yeah I guess you're right, I might trip on all this junk".
lau.gif
She called the PO.
gig.gif

Now , now. this reminds me of my mail man days. One lady had a long yard and didn't want anyone crossing her lawn. So you had to walk down the neighboring yard and then back up to her house, and then back down her yard and then up the next as the houses were set back from the road. She had all these lawn ornaments in her year. Lots more than the average person mind you. Whurley Gigs galore.

Any how she caught the new guy and told him not so nicely to not cross her lawn! He responded, " yeah I guess you're right, I might trip on all this junk".
lau.gif
She called the PO.
gig.gif
Well have you ever tried finding a doctor who treats broken limbs on garden gnomes? And the bills... good luck getting them on Obamacare.

Sourland, I just noticed that your customized description reads broody magician. You wouldn't happen to have any tricks for breaking a suspected beginning of broodiness? I would like to get a little more than 19 eggs out of Veera before she starts hatching baby golf balls. She's been staying on her egg after laying it. I removed the motivational golf balls from the nests yesterday, today she was going in and out of the nests for hours before finally settling into one to lay. After half an hour I shooed her off the nest, and she left behind a freshly laid egg.

I'm great at making fowl go broody - not so great at keeping them from doing so. Trust me, you don't want me anywhere near your flock or the whole darn mess will start setting.
tongue.png

Sourland, alert me if you're ever planning a trip to Finland then, so that I can hide the chickens from you
tongue.png

I wouldn't mind her going broody if we had the space for some more chickens, and if we actually had some sort real egg production going on, but she was the first to start laying, and the only other to start has so far produced only 4 eggs, so I was hoping to get a few more of them online before having to deal with this kind of things.

Time for a coffee break. This is how far today's project has come at this point.

Still need to realign the foundation a bit to counteract some sloppy measuring when assembling the frame. Then it's time to panel it, build some doors and a roof and soon our back wall won't look like a heap of junk anymore when we can just hide all the clutter in my cabinet shed.

Back
Top Bottom