Collecting Cool Rocks! Minerals, Crystals, Fossils, Geodes, etc.

Pics
Ok, my thoughts are that you can technically end up with lemons even when you get nice brands. My double barrel Harbor Freight is pretty new but is definitely running without issue at the moment. I bought it not anticipating a long life though.
I had a National Geographic tumbler, the yellow one, it worked great but I hated it because it was so hard to open. My friend has the black National Geographic tumbler and has had it for years, has not babied it at all (she actually turned it off and forgot about it with rocks still inside for months and when she found it recently, cleaned it out and turned it back on and it's running without issue).
There are a TON of people happy with their Lortones so if you can get a decent looking one for the same price as Harbor Freight, I say why not, but also you have a store where you can exchange na broken Harbor Freight model, just a thought.
The vibratory tumbler that I plan on getting once it's back in stock is the Mini Sonic, it doesn't have a motor that you would need to tinker with and maintain, but it's expensive.
Thank you!
I'm that person. The one that gets the lemons. Lol. I always end up with 2/3 to 100% (every single time..not kidding!) roosters too, so I guess I'm not exactly lucky. (I'm not likely to find gold but agate is so much prettier.)
Im going to look at the National Geographic store some more and keep an eye on Ebay too. Hopefully I can make a decision soon.

Thank you!
I'm that person. The one that gets the lemons. Lol. I always end up with 2/3 to 100% (every single time..not kidding!) roosters too, so I guess I'm not exactly lucky. (I'm not likely to find gold but agate is so much prettier.)
Im going to look at the National Geographic store some more and keep an eye on Ebay too. Hopefully I can make a decision soon.

lol, Well hopefully this will be the exception to your lemons. Rock tumbler takes a lot of time and patience so taking your time to pick the right one for you seems appropriate. Good luck!

I looked up Idaho gemstones and I'm regretting it! SO MANY PRETTY ROCKS THERE! lol
There does appear to be an agate called Orange Crack Agate in Idaho, I've never heard of that one but it could also be that. There are many varieties of agate there! *swoon* :love
Awesome, thanks! Is there a certain website you use to look up rocks?

Awesome, thanks! Is there a certain website you use to look up rocks?

I usually just use Google because individuals share what they find in specific areas. So searching for "rockhounding in Idaho" will likely bring up some locations like on this link.

https://idahoutdoors.com/rock-hounding-idaho/

If you really start getting serious about rock hounding in your area I would look into getting a geology book specific to your area. Roadside Geology I believe has one for every state and they come recommended. You may be able to find some at state parks local to you as well!

https://www.amazon.com/Roadside-Geology-Idaho/dp/0878422196

I usually just use Google because individuals share what they find in specific areas. So searching for "rockhounding in Idaho" will likely bring up some locations like on this link.

https://idahoutdoors.com/rock-hounding-idaho/

If you really start getting serious about rock hounding in your area I would look into getting a geology book specific to your area. Roadside Geology I believe has one for every state and they come recommended. You may be able to find some at state parks local to you as well!

https://www.amazon.com/Roadside-Geology-Idaho/dp/0878422196
That's it's very helpful, thank you! Just another hobby to pick up :D

I received some fossils today that I traded for! Now to figure out what the heck they are, lol. Some kind of agatized bone, a piece of a megalodon tooth, some kind of little snail dude, and maybe a section of ammonite? I'll update once I hear back from some people that are better at identifying than I am. Speaking of which, @CHlCKEN would you like me to share the pictures of your fossils you were wondering about as well?

View attachment 2454511
Just saw this post. Yes you can share them!

Welcome! View attachment 2469339 What did it look like? Black? Possibly obsidian? Obsidian is volcanic glass. I have a few pieces I can photograph to confirm for you. If it started with an A, possibly agate? Did it have banding?
I’ve found what I THOUGHT was obsidian- and lots of it to. Unfortunately I don’t have any samples to show to you because I don't Have it anymore. It looked and felt just like obsidian but a few had large pores and I don’t see that in pictures of obsidian from the internet. Perhaps it’s something else.

I’ve found what I THOUGHT was obsidian- and lots of it to. Unfortunately I don’t have any samples to show to you because I don't Have it anymore. It looked and felt just like obsidian but a few had large pores and I don’t see that in pictures of obsidian from the internet. Perhaps it’s something else.

Hmm, I'm certainly curious now, lol. Maybe if you come across it again some time you'll have to show us! It could have been from bubbles rising before the lava cooled.

https://www.thoughtco.com/pictures-of-obsidian-4123014

Back
Top Bottom