Colorado

Mnt Margie, Blueberries will not grow here in CO. Soil is too alkaline. There is no effective way to acidify soil for the long term. Even if you plant in pots, our water is so alkaline that you will eventually change the Ph back to alkaline!! Don't know why the nurseries sell them except to make a sale. Sorry to bring bad news.

Denverchickee, do not use high nitrogen(first number) fert. The second number(phosphate) should be higher. Use a "bloom builder" type fert. Also the weather is not cooperating. I have a load of green tomatoes and they are not growing!! Get that wilted tomato plant out of there and throw it away. It may have fuserium(sp?) wilt. From now on plant only tomato plants that are fusarium wilt resistant. That may rule out heirlooms but wilt will contaminate the soil and cause you problems for years to come. Good luck

Mnt Margie, Blueberries will not grow here in CO. Soil is too alkaline. There is no effective way to acidify soil for the long term. Even if you plant in pots, our water is so alkaline that you will eventually change the Ph back to alkaline!! Don't know why the nurseries sell them except to make a sale. Sorry to bring bad news.
I ahave gotten them to grow but in a pot and with rain water. Not the water out of the hose. Its off the chart on the test strip for allalinity.

Yeah, domestic water is alkaline here. I knew one person able to keep her blueberries alive with only rainwater but that was for a few years. Eventually the plants died out. Planting in peat moss is helpful since that is so acidic. Blueberries are a real challenge and adventure out here. Good luck with them. Let us know your progress over time. You may have a technique that we have not yet stumbled on!!

Yeah, domestic water is alkaline here. I knew one person able to keep her blueberries alive with only rainwater but that was for a few years. Eventually the plants died out. Planting in peat moss is helpful since that is so acidic. Blueberries are a real challenge  and adventure out here. Good luck with them. Let us know your progress over time. You may have a technique that we have not yet stumbled on!!
I
I'm growing blueberries as well. I planted in peat moss and a small amount of potting soil, in pots. Three of them. I have added an acid fertilizer for fruit. I had three berries today, I ate them, not enough to do anything with. Two plants look good with the leaves, one I think is sick, it has a red or rusty look to a few of the leaves. I read somewhere to add nitrogen to the soil to help, will try that this weekend. Yes an experiment, didn't know our well water alkaline was high. My girls were loving the cooler weather, now back to the heat.

I am starting to wonder if the cuckoo Marans chick I held back really is a rooster or if he just looks girly compared to the Cornish roasters. I think I will post in the breed/ gender? section later.

How is everyone's Friday going?

5th Monday so far this week. Jest another work day getting in the way of chicken work and BYC. LOL
LOL Me too.
but.........
its........
FRIDAY!!!!!!!!

What does everyone have planned for the weekend? I staked out the post hole locations for phase 3, and will hopefully get to have them dug with a power auger tomorrow. Other than that, just a normal project day at home.

ANNOUNCEMENT!!!!!

To all famliy and friends, which includes our chicken friends:

On Saturday, August 10th we will be holding a birthday party for my sweet wife, Beth. It will be at our place. Eating will be at 6 PM. We will be slow roasting pork. Bring a side dish.

This is important to Beth for a few reasons:
  1. She is turning 50
  2. She made it to 50 alive. For those who aren't aware, Beth has been fighting Breast Cancer for 11 years now. We just about lost her last fall, and she made it a goal to make it to her 50th birthday.

So come over and celebrate with us. Kids are welcome

Leave the smokes and booze at home.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom