Colorful eggs

Newfarmer36

Songster
Dec 31, 2017
West Monroe, Louisiana
I've got 10 hens right now. Most lay brown. 3 lay green. It may sound stupid but I'm wanting different colored eggs other than brown and green. I've searched the web to find chickens that lay blue and pink eggs. In some places it says that buff Orpington hens lay blue eggs, some places say the lay brown eggs.
Some say RIR's lay pink eggs, others say dark brown.
Can y'all please give me examples of chickens and what colors they lay? Thanks

Cream legbar= blue eggs
Easter egger = blue, green, pink, and just about any color egg ( one that is)
Croad langshanks (spelling may be wrong) =pink eggs or so I've read
orpingtons = light brown eggs (some with white spots some not)

I had a cochin cross with Easter egger who laid a beautiful pink egg with white dots.
I also had a barred rock that laid a pink egg with purple specks ( made it easy to know when she laid, lol)

Hope this helps in your search for your perfect egg basket

Leghorns are always a good addition. because their brilliant white eggs always make your green eggs look greener and the brown ones look browner. You can buy birds that are specifically bred to lay olive coloured eggs (Olive Eggers) and breeds that lay blue or Cream Legbars, Ameraucana or Araucana. Easter Eggers may lay blue but more likely to lay green/blue. Tint eggs are anywhere from cream to brown, but there are some pinkish shades within that spectrum. As others have said, the "bloom" on the egg is often what gives it a pinkish or even occasionally purpleish hue. The bloom tends to be a bit of an individual thing rather than a guaranteed trait a but like speckles, but some breeds like Croad Lanshans are more inclined to it. Buying from a breeder who breeds for that characteristic will increase your chances, but not guarantee them. Then some nice Black Copper Marans or Welsummers or Pendescenza (sp) to give you really dark brown eggs.

Colourful eggs are something that many of us aspire to, so it doesn't sound stupid at all to me. These are some of mine...
849.jpg

IMHO Easter eggers mainly lay variations of green. I've had some lay olive. Very rare I think to get one that lays blue, better off getting a actual blue egg layer if blue is desired. Besides the real Ameraucana (make sure you get them from someone that confirms they are laying blue, some don't) and Cream Legbars, there is also Whiting True Blues that lay blue.
And those so called 'pink' eggs, just a lighter variation of off brown, I guess they're kinda 'pink' to some people.
The Langshans supposedly lay purple but it's just the 'bloom' and ask any Langshan breeder they will say they do not.
Of course the Marans for dark chocolate eggs, and once again confirm they are actually dark, some lines lay darker than others.
I really liked the Wellsummers I had, dark brown with dark chocolate spots all over, lots of spots and speckles.
And like rebrascora said above, having a white egg layer really makes all the other colors stand out. I had a few brown leghorns and a polish for white eggs.
I used to have a colorful egg basket, pretty cool, and the kids love the green eggs. I used to give some away and always heard the kids loved the green ones.

Lol, first time I showed my dad a carton of green eggs he had never heard of them, he made a gross face and said 'they look rotten!' Lol :gig

This place I've heard good stuff from and has colorful egg layers, she has nice birds and not far from you, Florida. She's also on here BYC but I don't remember her name on here.
https://eightacresfarm.weebly.com/

Back
Top Bottom